This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Changing Boot Order

tal22

Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:42:05 pm

I installed Zorin 3.8.0-32 with Grub v2.00-13ubuntu3 bootloader on a Windows 8.1 Machine with UEFI BIOS and would like to change the boot priority to Windows 8. How can the boot order be changed with Zorin? Thanks.

tal22

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:26:43 am

Looked a bit more and this is an easy and concise method that works. Remember first boot device is "0".

Re: order of booting
Postby DanYHKim » Thu May 24, 2012 12:32 am

While the linked article is useful, it may be confusing to someone not familiar with Linux. I thought I might contribute a detailed description, since I just did this for my daughter's computer.

GRUB2 is the "bootloader", which seems to be a program that launches the OS of your computer. It runs before Linux or Windows or whatever OS you are using. It presents the menu that gives you ten seconds to select one of the four or five options for booting up. Generally, the first option for your Zorin OS computer will be to run Zorin OS. You can bypass the ten second delay by pressing enter, or you can use the arrow keys to select one of the other options. You should count how many options exist on your GRUB2 menu list, and take note of which line has the command to run Windows. (On my computer, it's number 6)

There is a file that is read by GRUB2 that has its settings. It is a plain text file called "grub", and it resides in the directory /etc/default. Hence the advice to edit "/etc/default/grub." The trouble is that this file is protected from being edited. You can try to edit this file, but your text editor will not allow you to save your edits. It is read-only to you.

So, you will need to open a Terminal window (in your Main Menu, go to Accessories, and then open Terminal)
In the Terminal, type the command:
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

You will be asked to provide your password, and then the text editor will open with the file loaded.

Now look for the line that says:
GRUB DEFAULT="0"

This line will be one of the first lines in the file, just past the comment lines that are marked with a "#". It tells GRUB2 that the default command to run is number "0" on the list, where the line numbers start with zero, and not one. This is an important detail.

Remember which line in your GRUB2 boot menu had the Windows command? If it was, for instance, line 6, then you will need to indicate that you want the default action to be item number 5. So change the command to say:
GRUB DEFAULT="5"

While you're at it, you could find the line that sets the countdown time for GRUB to display the menu, and change it from 10 seconds to maybe 3 seconds. This will save you a whole 7 seconds of boot-up time!

Save the changes to the file, and close it.

Go back to your Terminal. You will need to get GRUB2 to recognize the changes you made by typing:
sudo update-grub

Restart your computer, and it should choose Windows as its default boot-up. Remember that the Windows command will still be the last item on the menu list.

I hope this works out for you, and I also hope these instructions are more helpful than the ones in the linked page.
DanYHKim

z8xt

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37:34 am

Hi tal22

Just wondering how did you get Zorin installed on a UEFI system running Windows 8.1 that is UEFI partitioned, I can't even get the computer to reconize the USB stick with Zorin on it or a burned CD. If you did get it installed please share with the rest of us how to do it. This will help out others with new computers with Windows 8/8.1 pre installed.

Thanks

Wolfman

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:50:13 am

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:00:07 pm

I see the issue with the UEFI article is that if you only have a 32-bit system then no chance. If you have an old Mobo like mine then you can have multiple boots with different drives and no UEFI - I have (lost! :( ) Windows 7 Pro one one HD, Pear 7 on another, and on the largest drive, Zorin 6, Pear 8 Beta 3, Zorin 7, Windows 8.1 preview! :D