This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZORIN OS 8 FREE 64 bit Setup crashed

Smoleff

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14:56 am

I tried yesterday to install Zorin OS 8 free 64 bit next to Windows 7 64 bit on my HP G7 2244sg. I burned the ISO with speed 8 and speed1 and with both disk the setup crashed. I tried to install zorin on my 500gb SATA and on my 250gb SSD. Now chance to install. The strange is that with enabled wifi the setup installs less as with disabled wifi. I can see the bootloader and can also choose zorin os, but can not boot into zorin. I'm using disabled UEFI. Can anybody help me to install zorin

Wolfman

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:23:15 pm

Hi,

start the Zorin disk and when you see the menu, select the 2nd option for safe mode and then press the "Tab" (the key above left shift lock) key and type the following:

Code:
nomodeset acpi=off

then press "Enter" and it should boot okay, let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

Smoleff

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:54:42 am

Hello,

to i have to do is before I install Zorin or after then in the boot manager?

Regards

Wolfman

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:43:43 am

Hi,

you do this as soon as you start the Zorin disk, as soon as you see the menu, do what I described above!.

Smoleff

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57:40 am

Ok, I will try this today in the evening and inform you

Smoleff

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:14:11 pm

I tried it like you told me, i have no chance to boot Zorin after crashed installation.

I started the installation from the safemode with your command. The new thing is that i can see icons an, the background an the welcome sreen an the sound from it.

I tried it today with a wired connection, but the installation crashed again.

With enabled network the setup crashed during the installation from the language packages.

With disabled network the setup crashed after the removing of addional packages during the system installtion, but the bootloader gets installed. I can choose zorin at the bootloader, but cannot boot into zorin. After i choose zorin in the bootloader I can see the zorin logo but then nothing happens.

Do you have an idea why the setup is always crashing on my notebook?

Regards

Wolfman

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59:36 pm

Hi,

you said you burnt the disk at 8 x speed, this is most likely the cause and you should reburn the disk at the slowest possible speed:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Let us know if this helps.

The other alternative is to try the 32 bit version!.

Smoleff

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:34:06 pm

I tried it also with a dvd burned with 1 x speed, but the same problems. i want to use 64 bit os because i have 8gb ram

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09:06 pm

But do you have a 64-bit processor? If you don't it won't install - period! ;)

Wolfman

Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:32:08 am

Smoleff wrote:I tried it also with a dvd burned with 1 x speed, but the same problems. i want to use 64 bit os because i have 8gb ram

Hi,

if your PC is fairly new, a 32 bit version will have PAE support so you won't lose any of your 8GB RAM!.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

PAE should auto install when you install the system!.

Smoleff

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:29:02 am

@ Swarfendor437
My HP G7 has a AMD A8-4500M CPU an supports 64 bit

@ Wolfman
That is new to me that i don't need a 64bit OS to use more than 4GB RAM. I will try this today at the evening and will write you back if that solution worked or not

Smoleff

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:09:45 pm

I tired to install Zorin 32 bit. I only get the error: Invalid kernel. Tried it also in safe mode and with the acpi off command

Wolfman

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18:28 pm

Hi,

try a USB install using the same ISO:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Let us know how you get on.

Smoleff

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:47:35 pm

I tried to today to download the 32 bit version from the Zorin Site and get at the end of the download a network error message (tried it with 2 notebooks with lan and wlan). I downloaded than a version from chip.de and used unetbootin and universal usb installer. I changed the boot order and after 15 minutes waiting nothing happens. Only a black screen. Do you have an idea what I can do else?

Wolfman

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:06:56 am

Hi,

even if you are using a USB stick, you can still use the commands "nomodeset acpi=off" at the boot menu!.

Even with a fast PC, Zorin can take a while to boot, try it again using "Safe Mode" and make a cup of tea and see what happens, you can still enter the commands above after pressing tab at the Zorin boot menu!.

Smoleff

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27:41 am

When i try to boot from the flash drive, there is no Menü. Do you know why I get a error message at the end of the download when trying to download Zorin from the Zorin site?

Wolfman

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:48:35 am

Hi,

the "Invalid kernel" message is normally a sign of a bad disk burn or an incomplete ISO!.

What message are you getting at the end of the download?.

Try downloading an ISO from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Zorin-OS-32-bi ... 54816.html

You might have to install the Cnet installer/downloader though!.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55:47 pm

As Gizmuntu (and datek1 before him) only use Firefox with DownThemAll add-on for Firefox - it even has a built in md5 hash checker to make sure the download is not corrupt!

Try these sources instead:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6369&start=10#p30387 - but change the '6' in the web addreses to '8'. :D

Smoleff

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:31:47 am

I booted yesterday my Notebook with a Ubuntu Live CD and had no problems with the download of Zoris OS 8 32 bit from the zorin site. On Windows again unknown network error, and also the same problems while the installation with and without the acpi=off command. I don't know why

Wolfman

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:38:10 am

Hi,

have you tried installing the Ubuntu version you have?.

If you are having problems with your Windows network too, this may account for a possible incomplete ISO download?.

Can you download the ISO on a friends PC?.

Smoleff

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:44:37 am

i had no change to install ubuntu next to windows, because the option was missing. With Zorin i can use this option. I tired it on a other notebook and got the same network error

Wolfman

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48:40 am

Hi,

if you are getting the same network error on a different PC, it may be that your router needs resetting?, you must make sure you have your ISP user account details and try a router reset, before you do, what router do you have and what is your ISP company name?. (ISP = internet service provider)