This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Text-based alternate installer - SOLVED

decalman

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:22:04 pm

Does Zorin OS 9 have a text-based alternate installer?

I tested Zorin OS 9 for a few days on my old sony vaio laptop and it ran fine. I decide that i wanted to install it on my desktop and that's when the problems started.

I have an old Asrock motherboard N68-VS3 FX
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-VS3 ... ifications

This motherboard has an Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics card.

I had installed Voyager 14.04 and i had installed ubuntu, xubuntu and lubuntu and all ran fine during installation.

Ok. So my problem is during installation. The live DVD boots up fine but i can't use the Try Zorin Option. It freezes up.

When i do the Install Zorin, everything goes fine and I'm able to type an user name and password and select language but when i hit next that it starts installing files the screen goes to horizontal lines and installation freezes.

I'm guessing that the problem is that the default linux video driver cant make the Nvidia card go threw the Ubiquity installer.

That's why I asked if there is a Zorin OS 9 text-based alternate installer or is there a way to install the nvidia drivers before the installation?

Thanks in advance!

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:23:50 pm

Hi, and Welcome to Zorin! :D When you get to the menu element where you select Language and Keymap, could you please try pressing F6 and first try 'nomodeset' from the menu that appears when you press F6? :D

decalman

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:25:34 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, and Welcome to Zorin! :D When you get to the menu element where you select Language and Keymap, could you please try pressing F6 and first try 'nomodeset' from the menu that appears when you press F6? :D

Thanks for the reply.

Pressing F6 on this screen did not give me any menu.

However pressing F6 while i got the blue bootanimation screen did work for me.

I selected nomodeset as you suggested and then Install Zorin and it started the installation on a different resolution

And after selecting an username and password the installation started without a problem.

When it was done it rebooted on a 640 x 480 resolution so i logged out to go back to the login screen.

I pressed ctrl+alt+F2 to enter tty2

typed username and password

and then each code one at a time to install nvidia drivers

Code:
sudo stop lightdm

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

There i got an error related to wine. It seems that wine can't be installed with the nvidia drivers so I typed

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge wine-*

then i was able to run

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

without a problem. Next i typed

Code:
sudo reboot

PC rebooted and I know have everything working.
Thanks for the help!

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10:00 am

Cooooool! :D

Pardon my manners - 300 blue jewels for a great tutorial - could you post this in the Howto and Tutorials section? Great Job! - if you don't have time I will put one there after back from holiday! ;)

decalman

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:20:55 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Cooooool! :D

Pardon my manners - 300 blue jewels for a great tutorial - could you post this in the Howto and Tutorials section? Great Job! - if you don't have time I will put one there after back from holiday! ;)

you are free to use the pictures. you might make a better job than me doing the how to.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:50:46 pm

Loving the clock and Conky! :D

decalman

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:13:21 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Loving the clock and Conky! :D

Thanks. The clock is also a conky and everything moves.

got the clock from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/ibvla ... +Pack_3.7z

and the other one from here http://www.teejeetech.in/2013/07/super- ... ckage.html

Master2093

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:26:08 pm

I have installed it like in this tutorial, but the controller Nvidia I have installed it of: " Additional Controllers " and a greeting works correctly, thank you for the tutorial.