This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Things I have altered after the installation of Zorin OS 5.2

cogier

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:19:13 am

First things first. I would like to thank Zorin for providing the way forward. I am an Ubuntu user but I can't get on with Unity or for that matter Gnome 3. I want to keep up with developments and Zorin fit the bill. I am unaware that sticking with the Gnome 2 environment may have it's own issues in the future should there be no further development but Zorin has allowed me to keep the Compiz settings I like, the window controls on the right and it has a similarity to Windows allowing me to pass on the wonders of Linux to Windows users more easily. There are, however, a few points that I feel need to be addressed once Zorin has been installed.

Language issue

Despite setting a UK location and keyboard during installation the language set up was for the US. There must be a bug in the installation routine as this works fine in Ubuntu.

Use the "Search" on the main menu to locate "Language Support" and then run it. If your language is English then ignore the request to install everything, just click on "Remind Me Later", click on the "Regional Formats" tab and select the desired language version e.g. English (United Kingdom). In the case of changing from US to UK English the "Trash" icon on the desktop will change to "Wastebasket". This change also alters the spelling and other formats in Libre Office e.g. "Color" to "Colour" & "12/31/11" to "31/12/11" etc.

Terminal short-cut

I noticed that the standard Gnome short-cut for Terminal (In Ubuntu it's [Ctrl] + [Alt] + T) is "Disabled". To change this: -

Press the "Shut down" key on the right end of the standard panel and select "System Settings", open Keyboard Shortcuts, locate and select "Run a Terminal", press the desired keyboard short-cut which will then replace "Disabled", then just press "Close"

DVD support

I found that DVD support was limited and would not play a commercial DVD.

Go to the Medibuntu web site (medibuntu.org), select “Repository Howto" and paste the code listed at the top of the page into Terminal, enter your password when requested. Once this has run your commercial DVD should play.

To help you I have listed the code as of January 2012: -

sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Screensaver lock

I hate the screen saver locking my screen and as a result requiring the login password to recover.

Search and run "Screensaver" and disable the "Lock screen when screensaver is active". There are other settings available that may be of interest e.g. you can change the screensaver. I also selected "Power Management" and made sure nothing "goes to sleep" when on "A/C Power".

Grub2 issue

I installed Zorin OD 5.2 on my computer without any other operating system, I gave up on Windows along time ago, so I was surprised to find that I had to look at the Grub2 screen when booting up. It also added 10 seconds to the boot time if [Enter] was not pressed at the appropriate time. I have a Dell M1330 with a Solid State Drive that will boot Zorin in 15-20 seconds so adding 10 more is not desirable.

WARNING The following needs to done with care as you can break things if you get it wrong. Only do this if Zorin is the only operating system on your computer.
Open Terminal and enter: -
gksu gedit
Enter your password when requested
Select "Open", Click on "File System" in the left hand panel and navigate your way to /etc/default and select the file named "grub". Once the file is open CAREFULLY change the following 2 lines.

Remove the "#" from the below line
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0" to GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"

Change
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Now save the file and close Gedit.

To have these changes work we need to regenerate Grub2

In terminal type
sudo update-grub
Enter password if requested

Now when you reboot there will be no Grub2 menu.

Additional note added on 28/03/2012: -

Java support

I noticed that I was having issues trying to book a hotel room on the internet. The problem was due to the lack of Java support.

From the Ubuntu Software Centre enter “java” in to the search field then select and install “OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime”

cogier

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58:43 pm

I did not "remove" grub I simply stopped it from displaying the grub boot up screen. Pressing the [Shift] key on booting will display the screen and enable you to fix a damaged system.

jcinpv

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:13:04 am

Thanks for the tips. Especially about the DVD.

madvinegar

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36:41 am

Very helpfull notes. Thank you.

madvinegar

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28:34 pm

I have re-read the post and I cannot clearly understand the "DVD support" part.

Does this mean that if we do not follow the above guide, our PC will not recognize/play original DVDs?

By "commercial DVD" you mean only movie DVDs? I tried an original movie DVD and watched it through kaffeine.

cogier

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:37:30 pm

madvinegar,

I did mean the usual shop bought DVDs, films like James Bond etc.. If this type of DVD works for you then that's fine. I used Gnome Movie Player and without the additions above it did not work for me.

Enjoy.

Wolfman

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:26:42 pm

Hi all,

what cogier is telling us is that without the installation of the package 'libdvdcss2'; you most likely won't be able to play a commercially purchased DVD because it cannot encrypt it.

Paste the following 2 commands in a terminal and it will allow you to install 3rd party codecs and other bits 'n' pieces that are not normally available in Ubuntu based systems!!. This includes 'Adobe Reader' and Windows codecs pack ('w32 codecs' and 'non-free-codecs')

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Followed by:

sudo apt-get --yes install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu

don't forget to update your sources list afterwards otherwise you won't be able to install the extra packages.

Regards Wolfman :D