This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How do I disable lock screen when wake from suspend?

Chad

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05:06 pm

I installed Zorin OS on my laptop a few days ago and I'm liking it a lot. There is just one thing bugging me:

When I close the lid on my laptop, it sleeps, as expected. But when I open the lid, it displays a screen with the time, then I have to press a key to get a login screen, then I have to enter my password. I would like to disable this but can't figure out how. I previously used Elementary OS and one great thing about it was that you would have a working desktop within 1 second of opening the laptop from sleep. The funny thing is, Zorin actually shows a working desktop for about 1-2 seconds when you open the lid, then it disappears and shows the screen with the time.

So far I have tried the following and none of it worked:

-under "Power", set "dim screen when inactive" to off
-under "Power", set "blank screen" to never
-under "Power", set "automatic suspend" to off
-under "Privacy", set "screen lock" to off
-under "Users", set "automatic login" to on
-using dconf-editor, set org.gnome.desktop.lockdown.disable-lock-screen to on
-in /etc/default/acpi-support, comment out LOCK_SCREEN=true

Any help is appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24:51 pm

Hi, If you have not done so already, install gnome-tweak-tool via the ternminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T):

Code:
sudo apt install gnome-tweak-tool

This will add 'Tweak Tool' to Menu | System Tools.

Launch it, then select 'Extensions' from the left pane. Now if you have disabled screenlock, select 'Disable screen shield' and that should stop the annoying screen lock with date and time from appearing.

Disable screen shield.jpg

Chad

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:44:21 am

Hmm when I click on Extensions in the tweak tool I see a completely different list of options than in your screenshot. "Disable screen shield" isn't there. I tried searching for it in the search box and it's not there. Any ideas?

Chad

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:55:30 am

Ok I see you have to install that option as an extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... en-shield/

But it doesn't work, I installed the extension and set it to on, and I still get the lock screen when I wake from sleep. The screen lock is set to off under privacy.

Chad

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06:42 am

Aha! I figured it out.

In dconf-editor, find org.gnome.desktop.screensaver ubuntu-lock-on-suspend and uncheck it.

Now I close the lid and it sleeps, I open the lid and it's a working desktop immediately. Just what I wanted. I can't believe this option is so well hidden. Hopefully this helps someone.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:26:48 pm

Hi Chad, Always helps if you get a Notebook (Laptop) user to figure things out as I don't run Zorin on a Notebook. Thanks for sharing - 120 blue jewels to you sir - 60 for solving the issue yourself and another 60 for sharing! ;) :D

vctech

Sat May 13, 2017 12:12:39 am

Hi smart people,

Anyone care to take mercy on me and perhaps further explain getting the extension installed to resolve the issue.
Hate to use the term noob, but that's what I am..like a "explain it to me like I'm 6 noob"

Never used dconf-editor and the directions from the github repo,,well I don't quite understand...

Thanks in advance for any replies.

spartha

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:48:43 am

VCTech,

not sure if you found your answer. This is more than a year late, but I just found it and worked for zorin 16.04.

On terminal, type :
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

then open dconf-editor.
scroll down to org->gnome->desktop->screensaver.

Go down the list of actions on on the right side, and you will see ubuntu lock on suspend. Uncheck the box.

Hope this helps!

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:55:17 pm

Great job!

zeomanis

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:13:38 pm

try this:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver ubuntu-lock-on-suspend false

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-delay 0

( ... or read man gsettings first)