This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bootup Woes

dee_mar

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52:22 am

I had problems with Cinnamon and decided to do a fresh install.

I did a fresh install of Zorin 12.2 Ultimate, did nothing else to the OS after the install except update it. I chose to do a manual update. When the update was finished, restarted the computer only to receive another black screen asking for a login. I put in my password and nothing happens. It appears that the hard drive is working on something but all see is a constant login with nano-second flashes of unreadable words.

Is this normal? Since I am having so many problems and extreme frustration with an OS that I paid for, I can't even begin to learn the basics. It has been over an hour now and nothing different has happened.

Is it updating? Is it stuck in some type of cycle, perhaps trying to login? I have no answer how to fix this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

In fact, it shouldn't be asking for any login information as I have it set to login automatically.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04:40 pm

Hi, I know it might be a pain to login, but that is my preference, particularly when it asks for your login credentials to elevate you to root-level. Is this the only OS on the machine? Also what type and age of hard drive? I am aware of your other thread and assume that on your first installation it went well - had you selected autologin on that install too? You can keep the login as simple as you want password wise and it does not delay access to the desktop that much. Autologin has been an issue for some time i believe, but that is down to security taking preference over quick access.

The official ubuntu guide shows how to do it post install but Ultimate (NOT Lite Ultimeate) uses GDM, not light DM as per this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoLogin

Also please see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13092&p=57435#p57435

dee_mar

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07:35 am

I don't know if this is exactly solved as I am one of those who are/were caught in the login loop as other recent forum posts indicate.

I spent part of my afternoon doing some reading of links that were posted about the login loop and found no exact answer or method that said this stopped it completely. Therefore, what caused me to write this topic is I did a fresh install and since I couldn't access that fresh install, I decided to do another fresh install. This time I went as far as reformatting the USB that the OS was on and putting Zorin on it again. I don't know if that helped in any way; however, it only took 35 minutes to install compared to the 60+ minutes the time before. Plus, I didn't choose to do autologin as I did before and I have a regular username and password which is working currently.

As of typing this post, Zorin seems alright and the only thing I didn't do is update it. I'm leery about doing this as I am afraid the login loop will reoccur again. I will make sure that the update is coming from the Main Server as suggested in a previous post.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52:22 pm

dee_mar

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12:02 am

I decided to update the OS and I changed the download settings as per this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13623#p59598

I ended up with a black screen telling me that some functions have started ok. Never got the login screen. Never went beyond that black screen even after 45 minutes - seemed like the hard drive light resembled activity but nothing actually happened.

Currently, doing another fresh install which is the 5th or 6th time now.

Here are the detailed specs of my laptop: https://support.toshiba.com/support/sta ... Link=false

Zorin 12.2 Ultimate would be and is the only OS on this laptop. Should I Never update the OS since I only have success in using it when it is not updated? It appears that it is a select few who got caught into this "login loop" and no one else seems to have a problem or maybe did and knew how to fix it so it wasn't worth mentioning? This happened after the latest OS update.

I have no idea what or why this problem is existing and unresolved. Do I have any other alternatives??

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:46:38 am

dee_mar wrote:I decided to update the OS and I changed the download settings as per this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13623#p59598

I ended up with a black screen telling me that some functions have started ok. Never got the login screen. Never went beyond that black screen even after 45 minutes - seemed like the hard drive light resembled activity but nothing actually happened.

Currently, doing another fresh install which is the 5th or 6th time now.

Here are the detailed specs of my laptop: https://support.toshiba.com/support/sta ... Link=false

Zorin 12.2 Ultimate would be and is the only OS on this laptop. Should I Never update the OS since I only have success in using it when it is not updated? It appears that it is a select few who got caught into this "login loop" and no one else seems to have a problem or maybe did and knew how to fix it so it wasn't worth mentioning? This happened after the latest OS update.

I have no idea what or why this problem is existing and unresolved. Do I have any other alternatives??

Thank you.

Hi please take a look at this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/566120/ ... -satellite

in particular the last posting in creating an EFI partition - I am wondering if this is the issue? (No Guarantees!) ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39:28 pm

When I put Zorin 8 onto my Toshiba laptop I had to delete both the UEFI and Safe Start features - using an online guide (it was bought as a Windows laptop running Windows 8, which I overwrote).

I had both UEFI and safe start already disabled by the manufacturer when I loaded Zorin 12 onto my newer laptop.
However I did find using the DVD drive more reliable than a USB stick when it came to installing the O/S.