This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

how to install zorin with grub on MBR

Danish

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:42:29 pm

i have a laptop that doesn't support USB boot and DVD drive does not read DVD.so my only option is to install it from hard drive.A grub2 is already installed on my HDD.So tell me please how can i add the commands in grub to install it from HDD.thanks.

DanYHKim

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37:06 pm

Actually, I'd love to know how to get access to the menu.lst file to edit it. I often use Puppy Linux, and I thought of putting Puppy's "frugal install" files into a directory, then editing menu.lst to give me the option to boot to Puppy or Zorin.

But, I can't find menu.lst in the Boot directory. Where is it located?

DanYHKim

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45:38 pm

OK. I stumbled on an important fact: the bootloader is Grub2, not Grub.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 says that Grub2 does not use a menu.lst file, but instead has a configuration file called /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Hmm, it also says that grub.cfg is not meant to be edited. I'll have to see if the "update-grub" command really will find my Puppy files. I'll be back.

Danish

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:27:13 am

I have Compaq nx9005 Laptop with mobile AMD 1.8 GHZ processor 512 MB Ram and 60GB HDDmade in 2003.I also installed PLOP boat loader but it does't work and freezes when i use direction keys to get to theboot from usb.IT seems that PlOP does't compatible with AMD Architectur.