This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

gnome-software memory leak

zorlitefan

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:43:15 am

I'm noticing what appears to be a memory leak with gnome-software. When you open the software repository it loads into memory, but is not removed from memory upon shutting down the program. I'm running Zorin 15.1 Lite.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:44:19 pm

Zorin Lite does not use gnome-software - it uses xfce DE - you would have to install Gnome to install Gnome Software. Are you referring to the software repository for Lite?

zorlitefan

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:10:33 pm

"gnome-software" is the name given the process in Task Manager. This process is initiated when you click "Software" in the main menu. (It opens the software store/repository where you can browse and download programs.) But when you close the repository by clicking the X, the "gnome-software" process remains in memory—and it takes up quite a bit; around 200 megs on my computer.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:23:41 pm

OK, will pass this on to team Zorin for there advice. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

AZorin

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:06:30 am

Gnome Software is designed to run in the background in order to notify about app updates. However, it's possible to safely kill the gnome-software process in order to save memory if you don't wish to have it running in the background.

Zorin OS 15 Lite uses Gnome Software as its software store, as with all other editions of Zorin OS 15.

zorlitefan

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:01:27 am

gnome-software is not running in the background at startup, though. So it’s functioning like all other installed programs, until you load it. Rather than have it hang about in memory all session long, why not check for software updates whenever it’s loaded and get out of the way of other loaded processes upon close, especially in Lite where free RAM may be critical? I find myself not wanting to engage with the software program, due to this backend feature that’s a bug for some users. I appreciate knowing I can kill the program without system issues, if necessary, but I hope you’ll consider a fix. Thanks for the reply.

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:09:54 am

zorlitefan wrote:gnome-software is not running in the background at startup, though. So it’s functioning like all other installed programs, until you load it. Rather than have it hang about in memory all session long, why not check for software updates whenever it’s loaded and get out of the way of other loaded processes upon close, especially in Lite where free RAM may be critical? I find myself not wanting to engage with the software program, due to this backend feature that’s a bug for some users. I appreciate knowing I can kill the program without system issues, if necessary, but I hope you’ll consider a fix. Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if you would be willing to test this a bit more.

It seems like you happened to catch it in the act....

Software Updater (Which is part of the Gnome-software package) runs in the background, whether you start Software Channel or not. It checks for updates and such. Sometimes, it will seem very active. Other times, it's nearly nonexistent- this varies depending on whether updates are available, whether your system has any holds set on package upgrades and many other factors. In the end, it runs actively for short brief stints and is pretty much a non-issue the rest of the time.
If you are experiencing NonStop Running of the Gnome-Software package, then that may indicate a loop or some other problem.
So please say so, if so.
Otherwise, you may have just happened to view it during a particularly active moment.

zorlitefan

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:42:01 am

Yes, what you’re talking about I’m familiar with. It’s a different process (a process with a different name) that checks for security, system, and software updates. I have conky running on my desktop, so I see the process checking for updates. What I’m talking about is specifically titled “gnome-software” in Task Manager that loads when I first click Software under main menu to open the repository. Process comes up immediately in conky. And in RAM it will remain (taking up more than 200 mb) for the rest of the session, even after closing out of Software repository, unless I kill it.

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:37:58 am

zorlitefan wrote:Yes, what you’re talking about I’m familiar with. It’s a different process (a process with a different name) that checks for security, system, and software updates. I have conky running on my desktop, so I see the process checking for updates. What I’m talking about is specifically titled “gnome-software” in Task Manager that loads when I first click Software under main menu to open the repository. Process comes up immediately in conky. And in RAM it will remain (taking up more than 200 mb) for the rest of the session, even after closing out of Software repository, unless I kill it.

Yes, I use a conky in the same way.
It sounds like you are correct and in your case, you have a memory leak with Gnome-Software.
I do not know of a fix, so I took a look using search on the internet and found many people making the same complaint.
Gnome.
sigh...
Will keep looking into it...

Aravisian

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:58:21 am

Aravisian wrote:I do not know of a fix, so I took a look using search on the internet and found many people making the same complaint.
Gnome.
sigh...
Will keep looking into it...

From what I have read so far- through a lot of bug reports, this MAY have been patched.
You can try:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-desktop/gnome-software

to add the repository, then
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

to see if this gets you a later (patched) version of Gnome-Software.

If that fails, you also have the option of removing gnome-software entirely and using Synaptic Package Manager, instead. However... I am not sure what effect that may have on getting Zorin Updates regularly...

zorlitefan

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:53:25 pm

Thanks, Aravisian. I ran the code, but the leak persists. Only difference I'm noticing is when I open software, click the "updates" button and click refresh, I'm presented with an error message saying "Unable to get a list of updates." I have no idea if that is related to adding then updating and upgrading gnome-software. Any chance that alone may prevent getting Zorin updates, or am I only in danger of not getting automatic updates if I remove gnome-software?

Aravisian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34:29 pm

zorlitefan wrote:Thanks, Aravisian. I ran the code, but the leak persists. Only difference I'm noticing is when I open software, click the "updates" button and click refresh, I'm presented with an error message saying "Unable to get a list of updates." I have no idea if that is related to adding then updating and upgrading gnome-software. Any chance that alone may prevent getting Zorin updates, or am I only in danger of not getting automatic updates if I remove gnome-software?

If Gnome-software upgraded; that is an odd message.
Yes, given that message I would say that there is a chance that you could miss being aware of automatic updates. I do not know for sure and am taking that alert at face value.
To be honest... I have had trouble with Ubuntus Gnome-Software since my very first day of using Zorin and eventually, I stopped using it entirely. I tend to dislike 'automatic' anything... So I do updates when I manually choose to. I am also notorious for using "apt-mark hold" on software that I do not want upgraded (older version 2.8 of GIMP is better than 2.10, IMO) and automatic updates can conflict with my software holds.
Where it becomes an issue is when Zorin Team wants to push a security update rather quickly.
When I install it is done in terminal the vast majority of the time. If I do another way, I use a .deb file from pkgs.org with 'sudo dpkg -i <package-name>'
If I want to ensure a safe install with all dependencies, I use Synaptic Package Manager. So, if it was my computer, I could totally do without the Gnome-Software. I am not too shabby at remembering to do maintenance tasks once a week, like making back ups. I would just do the back ups then come back and run 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' after the backup was completed.
Many people consider it bloatware and remove it.

That being said- while it would 'solve' your memory leak suspicion by removing the suspect if that is the case- you would be without Automatic Updates and the Software Channel. What works for one person may not work for you.
You may opt to remove it completely- then Reinstall it to see if that fixes the break. I know this was no big deal on Zorin 12.4 (Ubuntu 16.04) but I'd like to check if anything changed with Zorin 15 (Ubuntu 18.04). I have been running searches in between typing this and have turned up nothing so far.
So, IF you opt to remove it, either to get rid of it or to reinstall it- Check What Dependencies it will remove with it carefully. Using the terminal with 'sudo apt-get remove gnome-software' or using Synaptic will display the same list of what it will take with it. You can post that list here for confirmation, first.

star treker

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:53:46 am

This is one of the many reasons why I use XFCE instead of gnome now days. If you've ever used Windows before, you will find that it operates the same way. XFCE desktop is just better all around.

zorlitefan

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:20:00 am

Good news is I’m still getting automatic security and software updates. Apparently the error message I saw is a bug that has been logged.

Aravisian

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:05:23 am

Good deal. How did you deal with Gnome-Software?

zorlitefan

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47:59 pm

I manually kill the process after I close the program. It's an extra step, but quick and easy, and no issues after doing so.

star treker

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:01:12 am

I am not sure which method you use to kill processes, but I personally use Htop. There is both a terminal version of the APP, as well as a GUI version. There is a reason why Htop is on top for me. (Yes, that pun was most certainly intended HEHE :lol: ) In the past, some of my games have crashed on my computer. When its a bad crash, I can't get access to my GUI in the OS. But if I enter the terminal mode holding down CTRL, ALT, and F1 keys, once I login my credentials, I can then load up HTOP from there. And then its easy to find the game in the list that is stuck open, then kill the game from there. Then I just hold down CTRL, ALT, and the F2 key, and I am back into the GUI like nothing happened. 8-)

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:31:26 am

Once you know the PID of the app that is causing issues, from the terminal:

https://www.linux.com/tutorials/how-kil ... mand-line/