This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Firefox cache directory naming for backup & some other issue

jarkky

Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:19:20 am

It looks like the firefox possibly has complicated directory name that is hard to remove in backup exclude list.

Firefox:
/home/jari/.cache/mozilla/firefox/8tmchk9k.default-release/cache2

Chromium browser:
/home/jari/.cache/chromium/Default/Cache

If this part of the "8tmchk9k.default-release" in the path depends on the firefox version, the backup exclude list would need revise with new installed firefox version.
I'm not sure how this works though, but I might use the path as
/home/jari/.cache/mozilla/firefox/default-release/8tmchk9k/cache2
instead.
It doesn't seem to be clear though what is causing this kind of folder/path names.

The secondly I wonder why the "Netflix" is not working in ZoringOS15 google-chrome, but in the CentOS google-crome it is working...
It has possibly something to do with the older linux version google-chrome supporting Netflix and later versions not supporting it or the html5-player or whatever
plugin required.
Screenshot from 2020-08-08 12-48-58.png
netflix1

Additionally, I could not use the java in these later browsers:
Screenshot from 2020-08-07 11-27-43.png
java1

It looks like some of the older software like 'java' & 'netflix' is dropping out with latest kernel&OS revisions.

--
Jari

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:36:28 am

I can use Netflix without any issue in Firefox - so far so not sure about your issue. You haven't got a VPN running have you? As for backups I would just backup the .firefox folder in /home - that way if you have to do a fresh install of Zorin you can just replace the newly created .firefox with your backup one which stores all your settings. ;) :D

MBMz10

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55:36 am

While not 100% sure what you're trying to do this might help.
Type about:profiles into the address bar (URL bar) of Firefox and you will see your profiles. The one you're using will have "This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted." above it. Yours should be /home/jari/.mozilla/firefox/8tmchk9k.default-release. You can create new profiles and/or import existing profiles. If you restart in another profile you should be able to come back into about:profiles and delete the other profile or just set the new one as default and use it.

Be-careful as you can get stuck in a profile loop where you can't start Firefox as the "profile is in use" and need to start it with something like this in terminal firefox -p don't quote me on that command! Search the Firefox profile page for more info about all of this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9b6nbcrRY touches on some of this at 1:08 and 3:44 and might give you some ideas, but may not be related.

jarkky

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:09:27 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I can use Netflix without any issue in Firefox - so far so not sure about your issue. You haven't got a VPN running have you? As for backups I would just backup the .firefox folder in /home - that way if you have to do a fresh install of Zorin you can just replace the newly created .firefox with your backup one which stores all your settings. ;) :D

The problem is Netflix in google-chrome, it works with firefox.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:53:47 pm

jarkky wrote:The secondly I wonder why the "Netflix" is not working in ZoringOS15 google-chrome, but in the CentOS google-crome it is working...
It has possibly something to do with the older linux version google-chrome supporting Netflix and later versions not supporting it or the html5-player or whatever
plugin required.

I think it's a bit more happenstance than that. Try both at another date and it could go the other way. These are issues that deal with Chrome and Firefox development, not really the Linux Kernel.
You could try checking your network connectivity first. That's usually the cause of Netflix error 7361. You may check your firewall config, while youa re at it.

On Chrome, go to the hamburger icon and select "Help" and then click "About Chrome"
This will make Chrome look for updates and load them automatically. Then click 'Relaunch" when it is complete.

Other things to try:
Disable and then re-enable the built in Chrome Accelerator. Hamburger Icon > Advanced Settings > System
Select the box for "Enable Hardware Acceleration" to disable it, then select again to enable it.

You were probably on the right track looking at the cache to clear it. You may want cookies, too:
go to http://www.netflix.com/clearcookies