This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

More Bugs In Zorin OS

krackerjaxz

Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:32:51 pm

I've found a few more bugs in Zorin OS. While some of these issues are with third-party software, it seems to be an issue only within Zorin OS and not with the software in other Linux distros.

1. Firefox dictionary

Prior to Zorin OS I had used the Firefox that came preinstalled with CentOS. Now I'm using Firefox that came preinstalled with Zorin OS. For some reason the dictionary has the British English spelling of words. color = colour favorite = favourite dialog = dialogue so on and so forth. I checked the language settings in Zorin OS and the Firefox browser. They are both set to American English. Therefore, I have no clue why it uses a British English dictionary.

2. LibreOffice Writer - Multiple Issues

One issue is the stalling of the software. It doesn't matter if I'm opening a new blank document or an encrypted (i.e. password protected) document. After about several seconds a dialog box pops up talking about a delay and asking if I want to wait or close the program. I wait. It can take up to 30 seconds or longer before it finally opens up. With this much time I sometimes have to click on the wait a few times (i.e. each time it opens). Sometimes, when this happens it freezes the computer. I can move the mouse around but if I click on anything nothing happens. The temp fix is to do Ctrl+Alt+Del and then cancel (i.e. press Esc key).

3. Tray Icons Missing

This is been another ongoing issue since I installed Zorin OS about a month ago. I first noticed it in the VPN software I use (Private Internet Access). At first I thought this was possibly an issue with PIA. However, I've had other software have the same problem. The software still runs in the background (I verify this via System Monitor), however, there's no tray icon. If I double click the software's icon on the desktop, it opens the software up as if I had clicked the tray icon (i.e. software doesn't have to fully load as if from first startup). However if I click the X on the software or the minimize button, software goes out as if when minimized but the icon doesn't appear in the taskbar.

This issues is intermittent. As of late it has been pretty steady, however, on random occasion the software icon will be available in the bottom right corner of the taskbar, where it should be.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:01:15 pm

krackerjaxz wrote:Prior to Zorin OS I had used the Firefox that came preinstalled with CentOS. Now I'm using Firefox that came preinstalled with Zorin OS. For some reason the dictionary has the British English spelling of words. color = colour favorite = favourite dialog = dialogue so on and so forth. I checked the language settings in Zorin OS and the Firefox browser. They are both set to American English. Therefore, I have no clue why it uses a British English dictionary.

I have noticed this as well and it has been driving me crazy.
Since I switched to Vivaldi, that problem has stopped..
so... It WAS driving me crazy. But my point is that I feel your pain. I would like to see this fixed, too.

krackerjaxz wrote:This is been another ongoing issue since I installed Zorin OS about a month ago. I first noticed it in the VPN software I use (Private Internet Access). At first I thought this was possibly an issue with PIA.

In spite of you spelling out Private Internet Access, I still managed to misinterpret your acronym.

krackerjaxz wrote:However, I've had other software have the same problem. The software still runs in the background (I verify this via System Monitor), however, there's no tray icon. If I double click the software's icon on the desktop, it opens the software up as if I had clicked the tray icon (i.e. software doesn't have to fully load as if from first startup). However if I click the X on the software or the minimize button, software goes out as if when minimized but the icon doesn't appear in the taskbar.
This issues is intermittent. As of late it has been pretty steady, however, on random occasion the software icon will be available in the bottom right corner of the taskbar, where it should be.

Could you please clarify which build this is happening on?
Zorin 15.2Core, Zorin Lite? Zorin Education?

krackerjaxz

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:36:09 am

This is happening on Zorin OS Core.

I'd also like to add another bug of a software taht can be downloaded through the Software package manager, Wine. Wine is horrible at uninstalling software. I've installed software (e.g. Amazon Kindle). That was a bust as latest version as well as older version (e.g. Kindle for PC v1.17) bring about the same "abnormal" error. When I go through the Wine menu and click on Uninstall Kindle it runs the Kindle uninstallation program, however, there's tons of files and folders left behind. Even more so is the fact that the Uninstall Kindle icon under the Wine menu as well as the Kindle icon on the desktop are still there. I have to go into the terminal to manually delete them.

Speaking of terminal, the search function within the start menu (or whatever it's called) is not working properly. For a month now I've been able to type in "terminal" and the Terminal icon shows up for me to click. Now nothing comes up. Terminal is still installed and listed in the menu because when I go to Utilities, Terminal is still listed there.

Aravisian

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:54:16 am

krackerjaxz wrote:This is happening on Zorin OS Core.

I'd also like to add another bug of a software taht can be downloaded through the Software package manager, Wine. Wine is horrible at uninstalling software. I've installed software (e.g. Amazon Kindle). That was a bust as latest version as well as older version (e.g. Kindle for PC v1.17) bring about the same "abnormal" error. When I go through the Wine menu and click on Uninstall Kindle it runs the Kindle uninstallation program, however, there's tons of files and folders left behind. Even more so is the fact that the Uninstall Kindle icon under the Wine menu as well as the Kindle icon on the desktop are still there. I have to go into the terminal to manually delete them.

Zorin 12.4 Core?
Zorin 15 does not come with WINE installed.
We must be honest here, Zorin Team have no control whatsoever over the CrossOver dev team of WINE.

Core (Gnome Desktop) Panel icons not showing: may need Swarfendors expertise on that one.
krackerjaxz wrote:Speaking of terminal, the search function within the start menu (or whatever it's called) is not working properly. For a month now I've been able to type in "terminal" and the Terminal icon shows up for me to click. Now nothing comes up. Terminal is still installed and listed in the menu because when I go to Utilities, Terminal is still listed there.

Now, that is an odd one. I keep a terminal launcher on my panel for the rare occasions that my hands are too busy to type in the three key punch for it. But on the occasions I ever typed terminal into the Menu, it always showed.
What happens if you restart gnome-shell?
hit alt+F2 then type
r
into the box and hit enter

krackerjaxz

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:52:55 am

I didn't say it came with it. I said I had downloaded it through the Software package manager built into Zorin OS. I'm using Zorin OS Core 15.2. Well, Wine is a software I'm not all that impressed with. The reason why I considered it a Zorin OS issue is just a month ago I had this very same software installed on CentOS. Firefox was already installed by default (just as with Zorin). I had installed Wine via the yum package manager in CentOS. The thing is, I never had any of those issues with CentOS. I don't know where the Software package manager for Zorin gets the software from, but it's obviously different than the yum package manager given that the software there didn't have these issues.

I did as you suggested and it restarted GNOME-shell. The PIA (Private Internet Access) icon did appear in the taskbar after restart. I'll see if it stays, though. As previously mentioned, it does sporadically reappear after minimizing it but other times it simply disappears after minimizing it or closing it (i.e. pressing the X, not exiting the program).

Aravisian

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:06:51 am

krackerjaxz wrote:I didn't say it came with it. I said I had downloaded it through the Software package manager built into Zorin OS. I'm using Zorin OS Core 15.2. Well, Wine is a software I'm not all that impressed with. The reason why I considered it a Zorin OS issue is just a month ago I had this very same software installed on CentOS. Firefox was already installed by default (just as with Zorin). I had installed Wine via the yum package manager in CentOS. The thing is, I never had any of those issues with CentOS. I don't know where the Software package manager for Zorin gets the software from, but it's obviously different than the yum package manager given that the software there didn't have these issues.

For Zorin, the Software Channel is the Ubuntu Software Channel which is where the software comes from.
I agree with you- it is not as well up as it could be. I avoid Software channel as often as possible. It's funny, I was telling Swarfendor yesterday that to install another piece of software, he needs to use the repo I provided because the Ubuntu Universe Repo is not up to snuff.

Wine is similar. It should installed from the Wine Development teams repo.
krackerjaxz wrote:I did as you suggested and it restarted GNOME-shell. The PIA (Private Internet Access) icon did appear in the taskbar after restart. I'll see if it stays, though. As previously mentioned, it does sporadically reappear after minimizing it but other times it simply disappears after minimizing it or closing it (i.e. pressing the X, not exiting the program).

Yes, it was a suggestion from a non-gnome user. I wish I could give a better one.
Personally, I think that the Developers, even if not responsible for making the software, bear responsibility for including the software.
I have raised the issue with the Zorin team about Gnome being used or included at all. I will actually be commenting on this very topic in another thread if you want to take a look at that...
viewtopic.php?f=12&p=73717&sid=4724643beb0705194ce8191cdcc28bf1#p73717

Feedback like yours can really help fine tune a distro.