This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Handling Windows Shares

DanYHKim

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00:36 pm

I learned about ZorinOS as a good way to migrate from Windows to Linux. So far, it has been very good on my computer, and I may decide to use it exclusively at home, especially when Microsoft stops supporting XP.

A problem I have is an inability to access shared folders and resources on Windows computers on my home network. I am going to try some of the methods suggested in these forums, but it is disconcerting that shared folders and printers are not accessible out of the box.

Being able to work with network shares is an important function. Perhaps a deal-breaker for many people. If some configuration needs to be done to make it work, then detailed instructions must be somehow easily available to the user. After all, ZorinOS is described as a way to migrate from Windows. Important and basic functions must be easy to access or easy to learn, otherwise people will give up in frustration.

I am fairly persistent in learning about working with my computer, and so I fully expect to be able to overcome this problem, but most people are not so motivated. This is an important issue, and Zorin Group must eliminate this problem, or it will really lose out. Many people who may not want to buy a new, more powerful computer just to have Windows 7 capabilities will take a look at Zorin, but if they can't make even basic network shares work out, they'll bite the bullet and get a new machine.

Don't let this happen. Fix the network and printer sharing problem so it works pretty much out of the box.

madvinegar

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:14:04 am

As regards the printers, personally I never had any problems.

Both a wireless printer and an ethernet printer have been automatically detected and connected immediatelly without any problem from 3 Zorin pcs/laptops I have in the office.

I do not know if the brand of the printer plays any role. I am using HP all-in-one printers.

DanYHKim

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:25:43 pm

OK. Dunno why, but it works on a different network. Everything works out of the box, so I have to admit that it's probably a problem with the way the other network is set up.

I tried the pyNeighborhood, and it didn't help, but I'll ask around to see if the home network that's problematic has something strange about its configuration that is causing my problems there. In any case, I am satisfied that Zorin works pretty completely from the start on my office network environment. I am impressed.

Thanks for the kind attention and advice. I'll be sure to tell my local used computer store about ZorinOS as well.