This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

mouse icon, cursor and fonts

jeric1857

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56:49 pm

I tried the zorin os 6 LTS freeedition on live boot, unfortunately when i found out that unlike my linux mint13 the mouse pointer and fonts style and size could not be customized ... any suggestions on how i could do this on a zorin os 6? thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:52:39 pm

Hi jeric1857, and welcome to the Zorin forum! :D

For 6 (I must get round to reinstalling for threads like this! :D ) you will need to install 'dconf-tools' which will place 'dConf-editor' in your 'System Tools' sub-Menu. To install, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
and press enter - you will be prompted for your login password - you need to be very careful here as for security reasons, no asterisks or 'dots' appear when you type in your user password to elevate you to 'root' (similar to 'Run as ... administrator' in windows).

To change the fonts you will need to increase the 'scale' factor:

Go to (left-panel of dConf-Editor) org | gnome | desktop | interface - then in the write pane, scroll to 'text-scaling-factor' - by default, this is set to 1.0 - see what happens when you increase by 0.1 at a time e.g., 1.1, 1.2 until you achieve the desired system font size.

For increasing the cursor, please see this other thread on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6137#p29133

Please take particular note of the youtube video link! :D

jeric1857

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:51:31 pm

thanks so much for this terrific learning experience, god bless

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:57:55 pm

So, is your problem now solved? :D

jeric1857

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:37:53 pm

Hi Swarfendor437, sadly the dconf tools i installed as per your advice did not solve the problem as the dconf page doesnt seem to respond to any click i do, but thanks anyway. I think i will just have to go back to linux mint 13 where i can customize everything from font style to font size, cursor pointer color and size as well as themes and background in my desktop . Thanks again

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:33:14 pm

Hi, sorry to hear that - you change the settings in the right pane - is the right-pane not responding? You have to click the settings on the right to change the values (just like in Windows Registry! :o )

jeric1857

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26:15 pm

Hi Swarfendor437, thanks for bearing with me, ill surely give this a try later ... many many thanks for your help , god bless :P

jeric1857

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17:29 pm

hi again, sorry to bother you again ... seems like the right pane of the configuration editor is not responding ;( thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:21:55 pm

Hi, I am wondering if you have logged in using the 'guest' account? When you boot to the login screen have you logged in as 'guest' or 'username' account?

jeric1857

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:39:29 pm

Hi Swarfendor437 ,thanks for your reply ... upon installation of the zorin os i have specified on the log in settings to automatic, so i was hoping that each time i do the start up therewould be no need for me to key in my password ... i noticed though that at times when i start up it asks for my username and password which makes me wonder now perhaps myvauto login settings is not taking effect ... how would i correct this ? How do i set it to auto log in ? thanks again

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:58:14 pm

To change to autologin you need to go to:

Menu | System Tools | System Settings

Then click on 'User Accounts' icon and you will need your password once more to 'unlock' before making the changes:

58.png