This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A newby's daft questions

Bootneck02

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:01:09 pm

:o I am a Windows 7 64 bit user. :D I have ordered Zorin 9 64 bit and as a complete novice to any other OS other than Windows what advice have you got for me :shock: . How much Hard drive should I use for Zorin the C drive has a total of 1.81TB of which Windows has 227 GB. :? I would want to send my music to the player on Zorin about 178 MB how will I be able to do that, I have saved my music to a external drive as well just in case Windows crashes. :? How do I save any files from windows and download them to Zorin. My idea is to use Zorin and Windows in tandem until I have got used to Zorin and then Uninstall Windows. One of the things I find is the strange names that Linux uses like Gimp what ever that is. Any help or advice will be gratefully received :?: :oops: . Oh one more question is there any written instructions for downloading for dual boot and installing on PC's

SteveD

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:37:57 am

I was in the same situation you are but I'm finding the transition to be quite easy. If you have a read of viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7981 it will help with the install. Once you have installed and are running Zorin you will be able to access files, music pictures docs etc, on your windows partition and be able to copy them across to the Zorin partition before you bin windows for good :)

GIMP = Gnu Image Manipulation Program, it's like Paint shop pro for Linux but free, as are most of the programs that you need.

So far I've only found one piece of software that I need for work that I can't get a Linux equivalent for so (on my laptop) I am running windows in Virtual Box (basically running a virtual machine inside Linux) which saves having to reboot every time I want to use it.

One thing I would recommend is using the Something Else method of installation and creating a separate partition for /home, it makes upgrading in the future a lot easier.

What you will find is you learn a lot just by searching for stuff and trying it out, and then coming here for help when you get stuck ;)

Well that's what works for me anyway.

ShareCropper

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:35:38 am

And if you want to search for Linux equivalents to your Windows programs, give AwesomeCow a try.

http://awesomecow.com/

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:06:21 pm

Hi sharecropper - pardon me for asking (feel free to shoot me down) you look very similar to Countrified Linux guy! :D

Bootneck02

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:02:04 am

Thanks for the reply's everyone and the advice.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:44:22 am

ShareCropper

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:28:34 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi sharecropper - pardon me for asking (feel free to shoot me down) you look very similar to Countrified Linux guy! :D

Sorry Swarfendor437, I don't know who that is. Hope I do him justice. :P

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:40:18 am

Hi, must have been the shades I was looking at! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd5JnIhC ... TwebuAmDAA

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:47:20 am

Gizmuntu wrote:Look Here : http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20070 ... lents.html

Great find Gizmuntu! :D

Bootneck02

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:27:51 pm

Thanks for the help all you guy's. Would you bite the bullet and do a complete download of Zorin onto the C drive and forget Microsoft altogether?

Bootneck02

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:18:30 pm

Just one more, well two things realy, do Bitdefender and Superantyspyware work in Zorin??

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:07:17 pm

Hi, There is a free version of Bitdefender for Linux - you just need to register your email address. As for Super AntiSpyware:

1. I doubt whether you would need this! 2. You could try and install it with wine but then it would baulk when it can't find the Windows Registry!

The 3 principal security softwares you need are:

1. Firewall - set to on.
2. AV - Clam AV or Bitdefender for Linux
3. chkrootkit - to check for rootkits.

General precautions:
1. Only use official repositories.
2. Always update if notified with update manager (and restart if it requests it - also run an update after installing an application as there could be a newer update than the one in the official repos!
3. Check the contents of any tarball before running/extracting it!

If you want a boring life but a secure one - don't install any java and no flash - the latter is the weakes part of any Operating System as proved by a hackfest that looks at the weakest link on an annual basis - flash (YouTube etc) is one of the key areas that gets hacked. One stage further - if you want a total secure system, just use Unix with no GUI - just green writing on a black screen - the other layer of weakness GUI (Graphical User Interface)