This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Feedback abt zorin 9

itsgauravjain22

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:27:28 am

In India, the internet speed to slow & people dont have permanent internet speed...thats why people hesitate to install linux.. zorin made easy for people to migrate..but still linux including zorin lack just a substitute of .exe file... I tried install .deb files but those gives some dependencies error when we are offline...so instead of focus on improving look, linux team should focus on basic functionality of installing softwares easy (without any dependencies error or any other problem)... Just to install vlc..you should have fast internet on your pc..or laptop...(vlc team dont give .deb file) & many other teams dont give even .deb file

Now coming to specific zorin os:
1) It must have vlc out of box..rhythmbox is great when i compared resources they used...but it dont have 16:10 aspect ratio (& many more that vlc offers) & vlc is easy to use for many more people as they are used to it..
2) Libre office is great but you dont included libre math package preinstalled out of the box..that is must...& i like WPS (formerly kingsoft office) more easy to use for a microsoft office user..So instead of libre office, WPS should come preinstalled...
3) Its better for a zorin team to give customised .deb file so that we can install software in offline pc also...
4) Google chrome should come preinstalled...

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:30:31 pm

Hi, I am afraid that is the nature of the beast - I remember when I first started with Mandrake10 from Mandriva I had dial-up - downloaded softwares from elsewhere and broke my installation! :(
The Ultimate version of Zorin comes with VLC and therefore all the codecs. Chromium is not an 'official' browser as it is a derivative of Chrome - Chrome is available by default on Zorin 6 LTS to April 2017. I can't comment on the audio application and screen resolution. As for Kingsoft Office it is closed source - it is a forum member that turned it into a Linux variant I believe - the downside to Kinsoft Office is that it is not compatible with the in-built screenreader! Please take a look in the menu - Math might be hiding - but will need to check - writing this on Win7 Starter! :(

itsgauravjain22

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18:57 pm

thanks for the clarification.. still if there exists free & easy to use software than there is no need for using open source.. it is just maddness & if you just want to include only open source, then firstly improving them & make them easy to use & then including will be very much suitable.. otherwise open source always lag behind commercial & commercial just want that..
i still can't believe that in ubuntu there is no alternative to exe file through which i can install any software just by double clicking without any pressure in mind concerning other dependencies..

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:45:40 pm

Well the problem with .exe is that it is prone to attack - you don't know what is wrapped up inside that .exe whereas advanced users of GNU/Linux know exactly what is going on (which I don't by the way! ;) )

itsgauravjain22

Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:55:21 pm

i am not telling to install .exe in ubuntu, rather i want deb file with complete dependencies in there. I agree, that while installing exe we don't know what is installing, but andvanced user can always compile from source code available.. but novices are left in trouble & that's why most don't want to install linux... as an example, one of the best thing in android or windows is having apk/exe file so that i can share to anyone..
linux never think of novices in mind. .. & lacking these very basic problem which a good operating system should have

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:06:09 pm

itsgauravjain22 wrote:i am not telling to install .exe in ubuntu, rather i want deb file with complete dependencies in there. I agree, that while installing exe we don't know what is installing, but andvanced user can always compile from source code available.. but novices are left in trouble & that's why most don't want to install linux... as an example, one of the best thing in android or windows is having apk/exe file so that i can share to anyone..
linux never think of novices in mind. .. & lacking these very basic problem which a good operating system should have

Well the definition of a 'good' system is subject to debate! :mrgreen:

itsgauravjain22

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:06:52 pm

Ok replying to the old thread..but its worth to share..i found a program that does the transfer of executable files and install it..though not just like the tranferring the exe/apk.. but it does solves offline linux user problem to an extent.

See Camicri Cube https://launchpad.net/camicricube

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:07:02 pm

Interesting - ok once you have a distribution installed but using something like the application you have posted is likely to lead to a failed download of a Zorin .iso as the Zorin team have pointed out in the past! ;)

itsgauravjain22

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:26:05 pm

sorry i dont understand what you are saying. . can u elaborate plz

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:09:04 pm

Download Accelerator Manager - my bad for not explaining! ;)