This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Long Term Support (LTS)

Obsidian1723

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:55:36 pm

If anyone has read my posts, they will know that I am a huge proponent of using the LTS versions vs the Non-LTS versions if one wants things to be more stable in terms of software, coding, support, and overall stability, so I shall not repeat it here.

That being said, Canonical has recently announced that starting with the next LTS release (12.04), the Desktop Edition will move from a 3 year to a 5 year support lifecycle and the Server Edition will continue to stay at its' current 5 year lifecyle. I think that this is a good thing and as such, we'll probably see the LTS versions go from a 4-point release system (meaning LTS+1 = version.1, LTS+2 = version.2, so Lucide is 10.04.3LTS currently) to a 6 or even an 8 point release system as well.

I think that this entire move will make Ubuntu much more stable, and conversely, it should also make any Ubuntu-based-fork from the LTS more stable as well. (Zorin OS, Linux Mint, etc, I;m looking at you now here.....)