This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Release Cycle?

protocol77

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:37:05 pm

Hi there I am new to Zorin I have been testing it for a few days I have also been testing out other distro's like Linux Lite and Mint MATE but keep coming back to Zorin as it seems a better fit for me being new to Linux and coming from a Windows 7 world

I wanted to ask I have noticed that a lot of other distro's are releasing new versions with the updated LTS of ubuntu out now

How often in Zorin OS updated on the Core LTS versions?

Is there a new future plan to create a new LTS Core edition or will OS 9 remain until it ends support in 2019?

Also one quick question and I know it should be posted in another section of the forum but it saves me making a seperate post

Is there a way to turn of the flipping effect when opening windows? just so it opens without that little flip out effect?
It's not a big deal I was simply curious is all

Thanks for making a great distro It is making my dipping of my toe into the linux world a much easier thing to handle than past attempts

svx-biker

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:18:35 pm

Have you checked the various threads that talk about Zorin 12 - or better ask about information?

The problem is that the latest Ubuntu base is not as stable as it should be and therefore it might take a bit longer. That said you can still continue to use Zorin 11 until the LTS version arrives. Upgrading to a new Linux release is generally quite easy.

I've even switched between different distros without much hassle. The primary point usually is: can you run a distro from USB (or DVD) and does the distro find your graphic and LAN or WLAN card. Other than that you have all on the live ISO for an easy start: Office, Internet, Graphics, etc. Installing other tools is just a few clicks away with any of the package managers.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:24:04 pm

Hi, Long-Term releases of Zorin are roughly in Line with Ubuntu - Ubuntu's first LTS (five years) was with 12.04 (= Zorin 6), then 14.04 (Zorin 9) and now 16.04 (Zorin 12 - when released). So basically, Ubuntu releases a 5 year LTS every 2 years and every 6 months Ubuntu releases a development release which can vary between 9 months and 15 to 18 months - the stable elements of dev releases will form part of the LTS update e.g., 12.04 will have had dev releases from 12.10 to produce 12.04.1 and so on. Remember a LTS release should be stable in all areas and Ubuntu doesn't always get it right - Zorin aim to get it right each time and sometimes packages may not always be compatible with some releases (e.g., Virtual Box had issues with one of the Zorin releases and the only way round it was to remove the pre-packaged version of Virtual Box and install a later/stable version but this can happen to any distro when 3rd party software changes things and there is no time to make changes to final release due to various timings and other constraints. You can rest assured that 12 is most likely to be coming out this summer - there just is no set date yet - better to have a stable distro than one that fails and damages an OS reputation.

As for your windows 'animations' just disable these in 'CompizConfig Settings Manager'. ;) :D

protocol77

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:01:38 pm

Thank you so much for the information

And the tip on how to turn off the animations it is much appreciated :)