This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin 12 beta

gorin002

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:23:24 pm

nice :D

crazyporscheman

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:09:55 pm

Very nice....

I'm having a hard time believing this is a Beta.

madgardener

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52:25 pm

I'm relatively new to Zorin, I have used Zorin 10 and 11 for about six months, I loaded the beta on a 120 GB SSD last week. I agree with the previous post by crazyporscheman. It found my network printer and installed the drivers without a hitch. It also was a breeze to setup the fingerprint reader. I am anxiously waiting for the ready for prime time release.
I have been dabbling in computers and home computers since the early 1970's and look forward to
using Zorin into my 70's.
My computer with the beta of Zorin 12 is a home built Intel i5 4460 installed in a Asrock Z97 Fatality Killer with 16 Gig memory, Geforce Nvidia 620. I also run Zorin 11 on the same machine installed on another ssd. I also unashamedly run Windows 10 on another ssd on this machine and another machine using the same motherboard setup.

The old saying "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" is quite true.
I only wish is that I could have been born a little later in the 20th century. The reason is that the toys are getting so much better and useful.

ian4238

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:09:44 pm

I have Zorin 9 Ultimate dual booted with WIN7 (ex 10, ex 7) on my desktop. My notebook (11.5" Acer 1410 Dual core 1.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD) originally had WIN 7 PRO, then I replaced it with Zorin 9 Lite. Recently replaced that with 12 Beta.
All works well. Battery use is about 4 hours (on par with WIN 7), but less than Zorin Lite at about 5 hours.
I have installed a few programs that I prefer, so on the "Favourites" bar I have Thunderbird, Maps, TerminaL, and Weather (for Perth Australia). For photos have installed GThumb (by far the best photo app in Linux). Today I tested 2 cameras - the Nikon worked 100%, but my Sony (bought whilst in China, and a model different from usual) refused to delete pictures from camera memory. I will look into this. On the right hand side of the bar, there is an item that looks like three
items but is in fact only one. In Lite you could 'mouse over' to see the state of the battery. With 12 you have to click on it, then sort through the Connection, WiFi, Battery and User, which is a bit much. I hope in the final version it is better.
When the laptop goes to sleep, in 9 Lite you could move the mouse and it woke up immediately. With 12 Beta once woken up, you have to hit ESC to get to the sign in page. There might be an easier way, but I haven't found it.
Re photos, I tried to install 'Smilla Enlarger' both from their webpage and via Ubuntu advice pages, but failed. Tried to get it in WINE but failed. I have it in Win 7 but would prefer to have everything in one place, in Zorin. There is a .deb version.
Overall, I think Zorin 12 is a winner. Congratulations to the developers.

gorin002

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:02:43 pm

so now and than the system get stuck