This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printers in Zorin 12

ian4238

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:12:10 am

I have posted other comments about the new Beta system under another heading. Regarding printers, I tried my HP3630 with my laptop using Zorin 12, but it did not work. I have the updated driver in my Zorin 9 PC, but it means that HPLIP is still not updated. I don't think the present driver available will drive any of the HP printers being sold today. On the offchance, I tried my Canon MP240 printer that won't work properly in Zorin 9, and "blow me down" it works properly with all different formats in Zorin 12 Beta. I wanted to check what drivers were available, but couldn't find Synaptic. Was it omitted deliberately, or was it just an oversight?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:42:49 am

Synaptic has to be installed after Zorin 12 has been installed - they are trying to make things more graphically easy but I still prefer Synaptic. As for printer drivers these are included in the GNU/Linux Kernel that is installed - nothing to do with the OS - the exception being HP proprietary GNU/Linux drivers which are totally separate to other printers. ;) :D

Note as I have stated in the Feedback thread the install command has changed to:

Code:
sudo apt install [name of package]

ian4238

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:29:29 am

Many thanks for the reply. Regarding Synaptic, I was about to install it via Terminal, but had a check in the new "Software". Sure enough Synaptic is listed there when you call up a complete list, so it was installed in about 1 minute without using Terminal .
Regarding the printers, I read the "Help" item ( I should have started there!) - then clicked on the "+" at the bottom, and got a complete list of HP printers models, including the newer ones like my HP3630, so I was able to install the printer and use it in minutes. I now have two working printers. I am really impressed with Zorin 12 Beta.
By the way, I really like the 'Weather' item in 12, so tried to install it in Zorin 9 from the old Software Centre.. It says it is installed, but won't open. I have tried to uninstall, then reinstall, but it still won't startup (the little wheel turns for about 30 seconds then stops). A pity. I suppose I will have to wait for the final Zorin 12.