This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

12 Ultimate - repeatedly failed installation (fixed)

mort

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:04:40 am

Since I had checked out the beta and an earlier version I felt brave enough to pay for the recent ultimate version 12. Unfortunately the result is, that I am not able to install it and thus I want to raise a warning hand to others who think about paying money for it right now.
It might be a smarter idea to just wait and see when this issue will be fixed, since I am not the only one as it seems.

The installer crashes due to whatever problem within the installation or configuration of ubiquity. I don't even care what it is but the point is that it crashed with a default installation setting.
Which means that the very first task this OS needs to fulfill is not possible right now and the whole package does not serve me any purpose. The support is informed and working on it.

star treker

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:21:45 am

YIKES!!!

Thankyou so much for informing all of us, that is a serious issue if you can't even get through the installation! And here I was going to buy it tomarrow. Well, I really hope that they can get this issue fixed, that is not a very good thing to have in an installation with newcomers buying it especially. I still need to get my notebook back in full operational performance, cause running in live is only half working. And I still got to get my file server fixed with a new install.

kasperi

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:41:54 am

I think iso is already updated. At least when i was downloading it today it had a different filename and create date.

I can cofirm with new .iso (core) version my installation went fine even when selecting Finnish language.

star treker

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:59:55 am

Now that is music to my ears! I always like going for the Ultimate editions because I like my operating system's fully featured. And the lite version for me would be like running my system in live mode perminantly, thats just not going to work lol. I really liked all the software that came with OS 9 Ultimate, it allowed me to use my computer somewhat more then when I had Windows on it for certain things. And Another thing I like about Linux in general is that its a open source world, where programmers arn't out there to try and get rich off the poor. I hate Windows, not only because its become absolute c*** now, but also cause the sofware costs over 200 dollars now, and you can only install it on as many computers as you buy the licenses for. Thats a quick way for a home owner to go into the poor house if you have 3 computers in your home. Where as the Zorin team is so nice to charge only 16 dollars for their Ultimate edition, and they don't penalize you for installing on more then one machine. Thats the way things should be done in this world and Zorin gets it. ;)

AZorin

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09:29 pm

We're pleased to let you know that we've fixed the installation issue in all editions and versions of Zorin OS 12.
You can download the fixed version of Zorin OS 12 Ultimate from the download link in the email we originally sent you after the purchase was made.
Thank you very much for your patience and understanding while we were fixing this issue. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.
We hope you'll enjoy using Zorin OS!

Technical information about the issue:
The installation issue was caused by a regression in an updated version of the apt package introduced by the Ubuntu maintainers (the base system of Zorin OS). While the regression only affected the installer, we have deployed the patched version of the apt package into the Zorin OS repositories, so all Zorin OS users are running the most stable version of apt available.

star treker

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14:07 pm

Thankyou so much Azorin for fixing the installation package, you guys are awesome! Today is the day I plan to purchase Zorin and install it. YAY, its like upgrading from not so good life, to stellar life hehe. Because I'm in America however, more then likely by the time I can buy it, it will probably be Tuesday for you guys in the UK lol. :D

mort

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:36:56 pm

Thank you for your fast reply and respond. I think I will have time to try the new version tomorrow evening.

star treker

Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:23:57 am

OK, I have bought and downloaded the OS 12 Ultimate 64-bit archive. I used WinMD5 in Linux Wine, I know, I am living dangeriously watch out lol. :D Anyways, while the archive seems complete around 3.8GB, it however fails the checksum verification. Now, I am aware that Zorin had fixed the damaged archive and replaced it with a new one, is it possible that Zorin forgot to update the help installation page that contains the checksum's for each download? I thought it weird that Zorin didn't include the current checksum in the email that was sent to me. Can someone please report the latest checksum for the that version? This is what my checksum is on the archive I downloaded......

ff6544843d1e2c972d9157951d31354c

MBMz10

Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:28:55 am

Hi Star Treker, I was about to make a mention of this when I found this post

New checksums are here http://zorinos.com/help/install-zorin-o ... r-download

They have indeed changed as I downloaded OS 12 Core 64 on Saturday and the new (Tuesday) ISO Image now has a different checksum

From the Blog http://zoringroup.com/blog/2016/11/18/z ... se-ever-2/ scroll down a little to see the comments A Zorin makes about this.

So if anyone downloaded earlier and can't get the checksum to match...

star treker

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:35:26 am

!!!YES!!! I am the king of the Linux world! No not really, just think I am because this time I actually followed directions, and used Quick Hash as instructed to check the checksum, and its a match! Let that be a lesson, don't use other programs to check the checksum, cause they could give off wild results. When you actually follow instructions, things go well, imagine that? :D

Thanks for posting the new links, it should help newcomers as well who dont' know the site as well as us.

mort

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:57:48 am

I can confirm myself that this bug is fixed. Thank you to the team for a fast reply and a quick solution. :)

Since I am now writing anyway I do have a question that might make an installation more easy.
Is it possible to to accept proprietary graphics card drivers from within the installation?

I ran in the problem of not having a useful driver after the installation and thus my 25" display showed something like 640x480 which made it somewhat difficulties to open, read and use the software driver tool to accept proprietary drivers.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:46:17 pm

Before installing anything else, follow Wolfman's Post Installation Guide!:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785