This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Weather APP and MAPS APP Review: Zorin OS 12

star treker

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21:15 am

So I tested out a couple of main features that Zorin promotes regarding OS 12, MAPS and WEATHER.

When testing the MAPS APP, I was comparing it to the Google Maps website that I've used before. The layout of the app is very nice and easy to use, so a big plus there. I was able to easily find my location, zoom in, and change between map view and satellite view. ;) It also has a route planner built in which is nice, so if your using this on a portable device perhaps, but I was surprised that it didn't have an option to plan route via transportation type.

Two things to point out that are negatives however, the app runs a bit slow, so when your scrolling the map, its like its doing it at 10 frames per second, where as google maps is more like 30 frames per second. Also, in satellite view I notice that the resolution isn't as clear as google maps, so when zoomed in all the way, its harder to make out certains object shapes on the ground.

The Weather app really shines. Its a simple matter of putting in your location, and it instantly gives you up to date weather information, such as temperature, which can be selected in Fahrenheit, or Celsius. It lets you know weather the skies are clear, cloudy, or rainy, etc. It also shows you what the weather is going to be like ahead of time that same day. And will also show on the same window, what the weather will be like for the next 5 days.

And if thats not enough to impress you, the background of the Weather app changes depending on the current weather, so you always have something beautiful to look at. :) And yes I do think the app is pretty accurate. Our first freeze is actually coming up next Monday, time to dress warm.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:28:29 pm

OK, what you have to remember in GNU/Linux, regardless of which distribution you are running all the applications are third-party apps with the exception of Zorin specific applications such as web browser chooser and background plus which is a skinned version of what was possible in Ubuntu in 2007. Maps is no exception and has totally wrong postal (ZIP) codes for addresses for my home and my work - and also the wrong description to a building that never existed there but has a relationship with! The Weather app is only just starting to work and was already present in Deepin 15.1. The only applet I managed to get working correctly for weather was the one that comes with 'Docky' which was (and is) a more robust panel than Avant Window Navigator ever was - I still prefer Zorin 11 though as I had least issue with AWN in that release and I had it looking just the way I wanted.

I was going to release a video of how to install MultiSystem but it baulks with an 'xterm' error and the same goes for Deepin as well - looks like I will have to downgrade or find another OS to show it off. ;) :D

star treker

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:42:19 pm

You know, the position of the balloon was a little off on my address, but was located about 50 feet down the street so I gave it a pass. I did so because I didn't really think that someone would use this app in place of a real GPS for transportation navigation anyways so ya. But at least in retrospect of having a map of your area that is pretty nice. So were these apps in OS 11? Cause I know they weren't in OS 9. Man Swarf, you've been having so many problems over there in regards to Zorin. I wonder if its hardware related, do you have UEFI turned on? Cause if its on, it can give you all kinds of problems with your installation.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:44:49 pm

I very much doubt EFI is on as my motherboard BIOS is non EFI and AMD Processor - its in the sig! :lol:

star treker

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:59:31 pm

You know despite the lies that Microsoft told people that you could really use a computer well with Windows 7 with only 4GB of ram, those who actually used their computer for more then just surfing the web, quickly learned that they were lied to. Windows 7 and even Windows 10 really need 8GB of RAM in order to function well, and even more RAM if your a heavy gamer, video production artist, or architectural design. The wonderful thing about Linux is that it literally requires 4GB less memory in comparison to Windows. Which is why I am sure when you got things setup right, linux really flies on that 4GB AMD PC ;)

Thats why I say, if you have an older single core 64-bit machine that you abandaned, don't throw it away, put Linux on it and turn it into either a file server, web server, or media center machine. ;)

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:38:29 pm

This is a 4Gb machine which came as a bundle with the mobo and processor. I haven't played any windows games at all apart from Win 10 and they are taking too much time. I play more on PS4 and mainly the one free game at that!
Talking of memory, document storage is the same. I saved a work file in .xml format in Word and in Windows it was 32 kb - in LibreOffice 24 kb as an .xml. :D