This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Introduction and Zorin OS Comments

krackerjaxz

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:19:43 am

I just installed Zorin OS about a week or so ago. A week and a half ago my 5-year old Windows 8.1 PC crashed. Fortunately I had a copy of CentOS and Linux Mint on a thumb drive. I installed CentOS which was a complete PITA. I had tried Linux Mint, which was only slightly easier, but on first boot CLI with no way to access the GUI. So, back to CentOS and researched the best Linux distros. Found a few YouTube videos with very positive reviews of Zorin OS. I really loved the clean interface. I installed it and here I am. I'm familiar with Linux as a few years back I had my website running on an unmanaged VPS with CentOS. While it's an awesome server OS, it really sucks as a desktop OS for regular desktop user tasks.

First and foremost, I've spent most of my time installing software via the Software package manager. That was a breath of fresh air. The CentOS package installer either didn't have the software I needed or it couldn't run the software I downloaded in order to install it. I spent over 95% of my time in CentOS in the CLI. Definitely not an OS for the non-technical user. Installation at times required knowing the URL of a mirror to download files.

With Zorin OS, it was a breeze to install. Just chose a few options, sat back and installation did the rest. Was able to customize the look quite easily via the Settings config. I honestly haven't had any major issues with the OS.

The only thing I am curious about is the Start Menu. Not sure if that's the correct term. However, back in the days of Windows 7 and prior, that's what it was referred to as. The button at the bottom-left of the taskbar that brought up a menu when you clicked on it. My only issue there is that everything is grouped (e.g. Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Sounds & Video, System Tools, Utilities, and Wine).

To me it's rather annoying. While I can usually figure out what software I want is in which category, I'd like to just be able to click on the Start Menu button and go to the Programs (or something similar). The layout change doesn't affect it. The only two layout options like this are basically the same. Main difference is one has an Activity button on the taskbar and the other layout doesn't.

I have Zorin OS Core. Would ungrouping the software in the Start Menu be possible in the Core version or is that only possible in the Ultimate version? When I'm financially able to I will be upgrading to the Ultimate as I'd love to show my financial support towards this amazing OS. It has the perfect balance between Linux functionality and control with the ease of use of a Windows GUI. Great work to all those part of the Zorin OS team.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26:02 pm

Hi krackerjaxz and welcome! I am running Core and you can easily edit the menu to your liking using 'Main Menu':

Main Menu.jpg

;) :D

Aravisian

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:20:17 pm

krackerjaxz wrote:I have Zorin OS Core. Would ungrouping the software in the Start Menu be possible in the Core version or is that only possible in the Ultimate version? When I'm financially able to I will be upgrading to the Ultimate as I'd love to show my financial support towards this amazing OS. It has the perfect balance between Linux functionality and control with the ease of use of a Windows GUI. Great work to all those part of the Zorin OS team.

I would like to make a side-note on this question to address something I see users ask frequently about.

The Zorin Ultimate O.S. does not unlock extra features.

While Zorin Ultimate does come with more installed software and extensions, what makes it "Ultimate" is the expertise and knowledgeable meshing of it into a functional and sleek O.S. The sale of Ultimate is a method of Supporting Development and paying for overhead. Unlike certain Game Companies, however, it does not have a "Free version with features that are locked unless you buy the paid for version." Zorin does not contain options or features that paying money for will unlock. Those that buy Ultimate do so in order to support development and to receive an O.S. that is well assembled and more hassle-free.

That being said... Zorin prefers the Arc menu, currently, originally developed by Graeme Gott. He was also the author of the much beloved WhiskerMenu used on XFCE desktops. Zorin developed the Zorin Menu based on the Gnome Extension Arc Menu, with a few adjustments and tweaks in order to present a minimal, organized and functional App Launch point that migrating users can quickly get used to and use. But if you prefer to use a different menu, then you do have other options.
As Swarfendor pointed out, you can modify the organization of the menu using the "Main Menu" menu editor.
You might also do a search on Gnome extensions that offer other App Menu options.
If you prefer the WhiskerMenu, you can install the XFCE4-panel from terminal and the XFCE4-whiskermenu from the terminal and use them instead.

I prefer the Whiskermenu or the Cinnamon menu (That I modified a bit heavily on my system) and you may even might want to explore installing an alternative Desktop Environment on Zorin, like Cinnamon (Runs like a champ on Zorin 15 Lite), LXQT, KDE, etc.

star treker

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:41:22 am

I concure, I really love running XFCE desktop on Zorin OS. And I too love the Whisker Menu, top knotch combinations, you really arn't going to find anything better, at least for now anyways. Glad you are enjoying Zorin OS, and that it has provided you a positive alternative, to Windows, since Microsoft has gone totally evil.