This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Spiffy terminal

kcaps

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31:00 am

I got my terminal looking and working very nice:
Screenshot from 2020-07-21 10-57-59.png

If you want to see more details, see this post:
https://medium.com/@kobirosenstein/my-l ... 0b28d0ce84

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:16:00 pm

Niiiice! :D :D :D 8-)

Aravisian

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:59:51 pm

kcaps wrote:I got my terminal looking and working very nice:
Screenshot from 2020-07-21 10-57-59.png

If you want to see more details, see this post:
https://medium.com/@kobirosenstein/my-l ... 0b28d0ce84

Great demonstrative image. Of course, I think I am going to try that out, altering it to make it look like an insane robot, instead. :D

kcaps

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:49:10 am

Thanks guys!

Aravisian wrote:Great demonstrative image. Of course, I think I am going to try that out, altering it to make it look like an insane robot, instead. :D

Don't hesitate to show it off!

Aravisian

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:32:28 am

kcaps wrote:Thanks guys!

Aravisian wrote:Great demonstrative image. Of course, I think I am going to try that out, altering it to make it look like an insane robot, instead. :D

Don't hesitate to show it off!

Here it is currently running in my latest "Archangel-12" theme.
spiffy-terminal.png

However... I am noticing it is not doing something that yours does. I must be missing something. It does not highlight misspelled words in red.
Is there a plugin missing?
EDIT: Nevermind... I figured it out. I needed to source syntax highlight last.
It's all working, now. Here it is with spell checking and with suggestion:
spiffy-terminal-fixed.png

star treker

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:43:45 am

Dude, I so need my terminal modified to be cool as that. Of course, it would need to mesh with the Archangel-12 theme that I am using though. Not sure how to do, but I know somebody who does. ;)

Aravisian

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00:56 am

I did not like the "Home" icon, so I made an Azenis "A" and replaced it. Changing the home icon also seems to have greatly reduced that pixel Blue Line between the Sharp head and the body:

homeicon.png

Trekker, follow the directions kcaps provided in the O.P. and it should work out.
I admit, I went about it more directly instead of using kcaps files. I am using the Meslo nerdfont, modified to suit.
Also, in his directions, he included the highlight syntax plugin in the list... Don't. It will throw an error.
Just leave it to the two:
plugins=(
git
zsh-autosuggestions
)
And install the zsh syntax highlighting- it will automatically place it last in the file as it needs to be.
Since you should be using XFCE4-terminal (You have it), open the preferences, then go to "Appearance" tab in the terminal settings. Uncheck "Use system font" and then use the drop down menu to select the new nerdfont you chose.
On background image, select the image you want to use, then set the opacity to zero.

On an amusing sidenote: I forgot that I changed the Title of my terminal to DOD Nuclear Control Center. So when I hit ctrl+alt+t earlier today, I had a half-second WTF moment...

While the look of it is pretty cool, the usefulness of the plugins are the selling point.

star treker

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:07:36 am

Hey Aravisian, I also had that WTF moment when I saw your screenshot. I was like, well I know he's a mechanic, but is he secretly working for the DOD as well? WTF? HAHAHA :D

So far, I've achieved installing ZSH, correcting which terminal app is pinned to my panel, cause that was an issue, and then I changed the terminal background. And I just realized that I forgot to change the font to Meslo, and so I have just now done so. It looks very nice. I don't have any of the plugins installed or setup, that will take some time in figuring out. But this is what I got so far...

XFCE Terminal Modified.jpg

Aravisian

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32:24 am

star treker wrote:Hey Aravisian, I also had that WTF moment when I saw your screenshot. I was like, well I know he's a mechanic, but is he secretly working for the DOD as well? WTF? HAHAHA :D

Well, yes, actually. I am U.S. Army.
But, nothing to do with Nuclear stuff. Not personally, anyway. Artillery.

I just emailed you step by step instructions on getting the plugins installed and the tweaks enabled, including kcaps fix for slow pastes.

star treker

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:56:17 am

Thank you so much buddy! You truly are a saint! At least in my eyes. ;) How shall dispatch myself to my email box with great dispatch, and will go over the instructions to getting this done right. Again thanks!

star treker

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:06:41 pm

OK, setting this up, was so not the easiest thing to do, and I needed Aravisian's help. Plus I ran into other issues that had to be corrected. A total beginner to Linux would not even have the patience to set this up I can tell you that much. But then again, a beginner to Linux would rarely ever use the terminal, if at all, so ya lol.

Current version of my spiffy terminal as Aravisian would put it hehe. :D

Gimme Chocolate Lots Of It.jpg

Sudo Gimme Chocolate.jpg