This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

im finished with this

johnfred

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18:01 am

Im done!! Third time with music and now anyone i use , whether it be banshee, vlc gnome I cant listen to any music and its all gone to s**t. This is so tragic b/c i love the layout the program but i know why windows rules the market .... they dont have all the bugs and they are so much more dependable and i hate saying it b/c i dont want it to be true

Obsidian1723

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:25:27 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Just an update (and hope you are still around) I couldn't let the bug thing be unanswered. True, GNU/Linux has had a major kernel security bug for 9 years before being fixed but Microsoft has had one for 15 years without a fix (although this might have changed). I once knew an NT Guru who told me that Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility list to be very enlightening - you could search for two pieces of hardware that were compatible but if you put them in the same machine together they were not ... go figure!

It was actuallu 17 years that kernel elevation bug was in all versions of Windows from 1993 to 2010. All software has bugs, it's just when the source is open, it's apt to be fixed sooner vs. later.

Obsidian1723

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:26:09 am

johnfred wrote:Im done!! Third time with music and now anyone i use , whether it be banshee, vlc gnome I cant listen to any music and its all gone to s**t. This is so tragic b/c i love the layout the program but i know why windows rules the market .... they dont have all the bugs and they are so much more dependable and i hate saying it b/c i dont want it to be true

Rather than cross-post, before you go, pleasze visit this thread and read my reply there, because it applies here as well. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=200

Wolfman

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46:46 am

Due to restrictions that are beyond the control of the devs on Linux distro's, there are (in most) distro's; no codecs pre-installed (in Windoze either!!), what you need to do when making an install of any Ubuntu flavoured distro is to install the "Medibuntu repo", this then adds more repo with more codecs and non-free software etc.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Once downloaded; you can find the "nonfree-codecs" pack, along with many other bits and pieces including CSS encryption for DVD's, "libdvdcss2".

This is sadly not well placed on the Ubuntu forum so people must search for answers as to why CD's/DVD's won't play. The same goes for DVB devices which require firmware and are only available through Medibuntu!!.

Hope this help you further!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Obsidian1723

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:20:02 pm

Wolfman wrote:Due to restrictions that are beyond the control of the devs on Linux distro's, there are (in most) distro's; no codecs pre-installed (in Windoze either!!), what you need to do when making an install of any Ubuntu flavoured distro is to install the "Medibuntu repo", this then adds more repo with more codecs and non-free software etc.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Once downloaded; you can find the "nonfree-codecs" pack, along with many other bits and pieces including CSS encryption for DVD's, "libdvdcss2".

This is sadly not well placed on the Ubuntu forum so people must search for answers as to why CD's/DVD's won't play. The same goes for DVB devices which require firmware and are only available through Medibuntu!!.

Hope this help you further!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

True that wolfman. Same thing goes for libdvdcss2 and it not being added by default. It's a legalities issue.

To All,

To add the Medibunti repo: wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && sudo apt-get --yes -q --force-yes --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring

Whenever I've had issues installing the Medibuntu repo (after running the above commands), I run these commands below and it works great:

sudo apt-get --yes -q --force-yes --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 0624A220

You can combine them all into one if you want like this: wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/`lsb_release -cs`.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && sudo apt-get --yes -q --force-yes --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --yes -q --force-yes --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 0624A220