This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Backup w/ sync or incremental?

manyquestions

Sun May 06, 2012 1:47:43 am

I installed Zorin Lite on an older Dell today, I think these folks will be pretty happy and I think they may go for Zorin 6 Ultimate when it comes out.

Anyway I was trying to find a good backup solution, I can put another drive in and I figured something like rsync, in particular Luckybackup would work but it's coming up with some permission errors in the log. I'm open to using other things, just wouldn't want to be limited to a full backup only. And of course something they can do with a few clicks would be what I'm looking for. What do you all recommend?

manyquestions

Sun May 06, 2012 2:15:08 am

I guess Back in Time may just do it, I noticed it has a root entry in the menu too. Would I need this though?

Er, NM I see Lucky had the superuser mode in another menu anyway. :oops:

Wolfman

Sun May 06, 2012 5:06:30 am

Hi MQ,

I personally don't use any backup tools whatsoever as I simply copy all my files to an external drive and whenever I need to recover my system, I simply copy everything i need back over.

Just 4 U:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

Regards Wolfman :D

manyquestions

Sun May 06, 2012 7:53:14 pm

Thanks, I will look into Remastersys. Are you saying then once Zorin 6 Core/premiums come out we can install that, and then use the backup to restore user accounts and such?

Wolfman

Mon May 07, 2012 6:26:16 am

Hi MQ,

you can do what you want as far as backup goes, you must decide which route you wish to take, you can remaster or dejadup or whatever takes your fancy, as stated above; I prefer simply to copy my data and copy it back when and if necessary!!.

As far as config files etc go, well; you can try keeping your home folder intact but it may cause a problem or two when installing Zorin 6 so I would advise a complete install including formatting your home folder too after making a backup of your data!!.

If you can wait; I will try simply updating and not formatting my home, if everything goes well; I will let you know!!. I have everything on an external drive anyway so I don't really care!!.

Regards Wolfman :D