This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Not impressed

efbe

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:18:36 am

Hello all, first time user of Zorin os 5, i'm sorry but this system is not stable, well at least for me it's not. It looks good when installed but every time i try Google Chrome, the system jams and i have to reboot, same goes for some of the programs. I tried to play around with compiz and that either jams or crashes..i get the black screen of death with the text below.....
Panic occurred...switching to text mode.
Iv'e tried a lot of distros and all work fine on my pc but Zorin os 5 crashes constantly, although it does look great,i thought i was on a winner here but it's back to Mint for me sorry.
I don't know if the version you pay for is any better but i'm not prepared to take that risk.
Cheers and good luck from an Aussie down under. :)

efbe

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:52:32 pm

Thanks for your reply swarfendor....ive downloaded Zorin os 4 (32 bit) instead and did a full hd install (no partitioning) and it works fine, in fact i love it :) I tried the live cd of Zorin 5 earlier and that kept crashing, then i did a complete install and the crashes were worse. I have a 3 ghz with a intel motherboard desktop pc (HP DC7100) with a 128 meg on board video card and 2 gig of ram and a 80 gig hd.(about 2 years old)
It runs most distros with out a problem. Anyway, i think i'l stick with Zorin 4 for a while as iv'e just set it up nicely without any crashes what so ever.
Cheers. :)

efbe

Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26:12 am

Hi, i'm back again...i downloaded the Zorin os 5 core again (3rd time) to see if i can use it.... I read some other posts where some one said do nothing with your pc while downloading, ok so i switched off the screen saver, started the download and turned off the monitor, well 9 hours later it finished downloading, very slow download which is annoying. I burnt it at a very low speed 4kbs. Anyway, same problems, the system crashes or jams in live mode or full installation, when it crashes i get nothing but a black screen with scrolling white text non stop so i have to pull the plug on my pc and reboot, so iv'e had enough sorry. I was going to reinstall Zorin 4 again, but i can't be bothered with the huge amounts of updates.
Time to try Pinguy, which is a shame as i did like the look and feel of Zorin os.
Cheers.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:14:46 pm

Boot it in safe graphics mode, you are most likely having problems because of the graphics card requirements.
You can install the drivers once you have installed the system!!.

Regards Wolfman;)

Obsidian1723

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22:46 am

efbe wrote:Hello all, first time user of Zorin os 5, i'm sorry but this system is not stable, well at least for me it's not. It looks good when installed but every time i try Google Chrome, the system jams and i have to reboot, same goes for some of the programs. I tried to play around with compiz and that either jams or crashes..i get the black screen of death with the text below.....
Panic occurred...switching to text mode.
Iv'e tried a lot of distros and all work fine on my pc but Zorin os 5 crashes constantly, although it does look great,i thought i was on a winner here but it's back to Mint for me sorry.
I don't know if the version you pay for is any better but i'm not prepared to take that risk.
Cheers and good luck from an Aussie down under. :)

I had problems with Zorin OS Core 5, switched to 3.1, all is well.

Ubuntu LTS starts out being pulled from debian-testing and the non-LTS versions of Ubuntu get pulled from debian-unstable, so too do all Ubuntu-forks like Linux Mint and Zorin OS have this code in them from the aforementioned Debian repos. The Non-LTS versions are unstable, as is anything forked off of them such as Zorin OS 5. These non-LTS releases of Ubuntu are where newer features (and code) are added into. They are, for all intents and purposes, betas / testing distros for the next LTS (12.04 for Ubuntu). Just an FYI. It's not so much Zorin OS's fault as it is Canonical's for doing things this way. Unstable versions are great for testing, bleeding edge stuff (Arch is famous for bleedin edge), but if you want stable versions of Linux, stick with Zorin OS 3.1, Ubuntu 10.04.3LTS, Debian and CentOS, all in their 32-bit versions.

VirtualNexus

Wed May 23, 2012 1:38:57 am

I have noticed that some machines don't work well with some Linux's no matter what you do - period. Sometimes a good re install works or change the file system to ext2, 3, 4 or other. Also, could be a bad burn or download or even a video card. I had the same trouble on my old Toshiba A70, but a reformat and re install did the trick.
Zorin is the best out there and 5.2 has worked perfect for me on every single machine I have installed it on including some friends and clients from laptops to desktops. The Nvidia drivers are a problem sometimes, but it seems to work better right out of the box without doing anything but updating repositories and the provided updates. Some machines will handle the 'additional' Nvidia drivers, some don't. I admit that Z6RC has some rough edges, but hey, it's not the final version yet either!

On a side note:
The new straight Ubuntu 12.04 is a pile. Stupidly organized and laggy. It reminds me of Windows coming out every year with a new model they expect everyone to pay big bucks for, like a new car every year. Who cares to see what software is "available" or what you have "recently used" every time you want to see the software list? Why does it waste 3/4 of the screen when Toorox Linux uses the entire screen and does not look like a kindergarten OS? No menu list, just big icons that you have to scroll down using a scroll bar so small it can't be seen. I hate KDE too! Who needs Gnome 3? Gnome2 is fine. And Ubuntu is so popular? Go figure!