This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Older vs. newer; ZorinOS, Gnome ?

2moldy4me

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28:05 pm

I am a firm adherent to the adage: 'newer is NOT always better'.
As proof I submit that my car is almost 20 years old - it's model stopped being produced in 1998 - and there has been no other car of equal quality and intelligent engineering made in all the time since; so I keep what I believe is the best.
(But that is a mild example, really.)

In the computer & tech realms most of the time I've found that 'newer is almost NEVER better'.

More eye candy, more useless 'features', more bloat, more demanding of replacing/adding hardware - but better & worth the bother ?
Very seldom.

So here I am, just getting happy & comfy with ZorinOS 5.2 which has Gnome 2.? and what happens ???!

ZorinOS 6 comes out=> based upon 12.04 with Gnome 3. Woof.

I've read postings, seen reviews, viewed videos, looked into AWN & it's purported benefits...and I say ?
Whaffo ?

Looks to me as if not only is this latest version mostly about prettier things - but since it cannot be just over-installed to preserve one's settings from the prior version...wellll, to me, doing that 'upgrade' sounds about the same as if a person volunteered to run into a brick wall at full speed - with their head.

So please tell me - in terms of FUNCTIONALITY - reliability - but NOT eye-candy=>
Why, oh why is this the best, bestest ever idea that I should engage in without delay ???

Thanks.

PS:
Referring to my first post ever here (a while back) I can just imagine the total time it would consume, after paying again - to try and get a successful download from the single, slow source provided.
Last time it took many tries over the course of several whole days before I could get an uncorrupted download.
And YES - ALL the suggestions & instructions were followed EXACTLY, but still it was a nightmare to get.