This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

About ZorinOS, Linux and that -other- OS...

2moldy4me

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18:40 pm

Hello Fellow ZorinOS Enthusiasts.
I have posted elsewhere seeking help with several things, and I don't recall posting this info here yet - so I shall do so as it tries to explain my regards for Linux vs. 'other' and where I'm coming from as well.

The future of Linux generally DEPENDS upon users migrating to Linux from win-doze/apple which are really just the exact same wolf-in-sheep's clothing; and hard-core Linux guys prefer to evade this subject..BUT:
I think it is critically important - especially these days when Android is eating EVERYBODY's lunch.

The 1st post I'll share was entitled:
'An age-old subject=> to Linux...from 'that other OS'...
'
Please pardon the length of this posting - it is an explanation which I cannot see any way to shorten and it seems important to clarify this before I ask further questions.

I am posting in the Newbie's area because I happen to be the only guy that a few folks know who happens to have some Linux exposure over time; so as such they are looking to me as being somewhat experienced compared to their total lack of any...

As for myself, I am not a total newbie and not any sort of total devotee either (as posted in my intro here).

Here's my story, which leads to some questions:

OK, I admit it=> as an old DOS guy when win-doze took over I was appalled, and having no real choices but to accept that, years ago...
I instead found ways to keep it from losing data and crashing. It's been JUST good enough but NOT a happy thing all this time. (Like being held prisoner in a place without any severe discomforts but still wanting to GET OUT !!!)

So all the years since then I've waited & hoped for Linux to become as simple & easy as the rotten win-doze 'virus' has been (knowing I wanted it & would help others to get there as well).

The dream-time is what I'd describe as when some Linux distros would be 'grandma & grandpa ready'; and having tried aplenty over time...they weren't there quite yet.

BUT...
Now it looks like that time has come.

I've had one very cool success thus far=> an 80+ year old friend of mine is now using the ZorinOS I installed for him as his everyday OS, very happily.
(And looks back at his years as an M$ user with a frown too.)

My own measure of this success as it applies to myself revolves around being able to tweak a Linux installation so that it is every bit as easy & simple to use - and with all possible functionality duplicated so as to be able to use one just as I use the other.
More of a quest for a work-alike situation than any sort of look-alike situation.

YES=> Linux IS NOT ween-dooz=> NO ARGUMENT HERE.

My ambition:
I have 2 PCs in the same room right across from each other; a simple turn of my chair to reach either.

I want to be able to use each closely enough as if I am a totally non-technical end-user doing my daily thing.
(And I've almost reached that goal too !!!)

Now it's time for me to meet this challenge for myself and my own daily usage.

(Wow - you read all that - Thanks !!!)

I'll post more as a reply so as to keep it a tiny smidgin shorter if possible...

2moldy4me

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:30:13 pm

From another posting, slightly edited to protect the 'innocent':

Hello (name removed) and thanks for your interesting response.

2 separated trains of thought in return:

Thing the 1st=>
I was 'doing PCs' since before there WERE any - meaning in the times of the ancient processors and so forth, and when DOS came along I was juuuust fine with it.

Ween-doze however...NOT FINE. Not even close to OK.
A stupid idea for stupifying people - badly done - crawling with unslain bugs - and as time passed it was just one bad paint-job after another bad paint-job applied to try and hide and maybe to smother those bugs without EVER truly fixing them.

I coped with it despite the extreme distaste it has always inspired - even managed to get succeeding versions to behave well enough so that data-loss was not a regular thing. (And I've waited=> and HOW I have waited !!!)

Thing the 2nd=>
I like desktop PCs, and I like having a desktop too - and having things neat & accessible...so what comes next, frankly, offends me once again despite it's inevitability.
And that is=> touchscreen-centered-EVERYTHING.
What this means to me is two-fold; desktops are more or less done with already as THE FORCE in the personal computing platform (clamshell form-factored NBs have been dead almost 2 years already in case that escaped notice), and since people are messy & sloppy by nature the touchscreen-centered world will simply enhance that messiness.

And what has all that blather to do with wonderful, reliable, intelligently made Linux ?

It's simple really:
Time to shine more brightly than ever before because mikro$oft knows quite well that ween-doze is a lost cause and multitudes of their former profit sources are trying to make do with ONLY non-weendoze hand-held devices already.

This cannot last however simply because the desktop has it's place and cannot be replaced fully & completely with those lower-powered devices.

SO=> as the ween-doze desktop dominance fades for very good reasons and folks adopt more and more things powered with an 'alternative OS', it is a getting-ready step for what CAN come after...Desktop Linux !!!

=========>BUT<==========
For that to occur, I'm sorry to say that guys like me will have to keep asking for familiar-looking and -working desktop things and tricks so that when folks finally wake up a teensy little bit from their tablet-ized trances, they can easily get a nice, familiar desktop MINUS the ugly, horrible, resented, hated Redmond Domination.

So scowl away at me all you wish, you scowlers.
Be as high- and heavy-handed as you wish also...

Now that I and others who are JUST like me are upon this path (with decades held desires for a BETTER (but familiar) desktop to share with those less inclined to work at it a bit) - we are NOT just going to shut up and go away.

Sorry.
We've been held back and tortured TOO LONG.
Time for better choices.

Like ex-smokers who powerfully disdain just the very smell of smoke; we who have been FORCED to accept krapware DO exist in HUGE numbers and now WE WILL BE HEARD !!!

I sincerely think that the devoted, long-time Linux Hothead Types mentioned in (name removed)'s post are intelligent enough to see and embrace this opportunity for what it is (but only time will tell).

Win-Borg's power to assimilate is already OVER=> so say I and many others.
Now it is OUR TURN to join, be joined, or assimilate what we need.
Why fight against the inevitable ???!!!

2moldy4me

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35:05 pm

A simplified/blanket summing-up for anyone disinclined towards reading longer postings:
1. MILLIONS of ween-doze users NEED an OS to replace it.
2. Linux is the logical alternative.
3. People dislike change, and most dislike having to learn new things, and resist both strongly.
4. For those folks to accept Linux it NEEDS to be very much like what they already know.

Hence look-alike & work-alike distros; AND a need for such distros to be polished a bit.

Complications are NOT desirable; command-line centeredness is 100% TABOO; ease & familiarity are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to any possible success in this.

My attempt in this is to prove to myeslf, for the benefits of others (as explained earlier) that it CAN be done; to do it; and to be able to show it as having been do-able.

GUI-centeredness is here to STAY (look at the countless tablets now in usage).
Fiddling & diddling endlessly as a hobby is for the very few.
What I describe as my goal is needed by THE MANY - the non-technical - who need things to be visual no-brainers.

There. Does that help at all ?

PS:
Here is a wonderful talk by Linus Torvalds in case anyone has not already viewed it=>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShbP3OpASA

There, I suspect that is more than enough for it's stated purpose.
As anyone can see, I am more commited than some - less than others, but DETERMINED to do what is within my reach.
Comments ? Thoughts to share ?
Thanks.

2moldy4me

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45:40 pm

Ummmmm....:
swarfendor437 wrote:The problem is there will always be some programs that are written specifically for that 'other' OS - enter 'Ulteo'! :mrgreen:

Begging your pardon sir, but my concern is mostly in the realm of individual users & families, whereas that (subscription-based...) service is described thusly:
With Ulteo's Open Virtual Desktop (OVD) technology, corporations are able to quickly install and deploy an OVD Session Manager with one or more OVD Application Servers. After defining users and creating a “publication”, end users can access the applications provided by Open Virtual Desktop using different possible modes:

* Windows or Linux Desktop with a mix of remote Windows and/or Linux applications
* Application Portal, to run remote Windows and/or Linux applications from web links
* Application Publishing, to get remote Windows and/or Linux applications seamlessly integrated in the local end-user desktop

So it looks like I'm missing something in the translation perhaps ?
Thanks for sharing this idea.
(Perhaps there will be easy forms of desktop virtualization spawned from this framework by someone smart & skilled enough to do so...)

2moldy4me

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:17:06 pm

My posting is about how this is the time, yes very soon THE time when Linux has it's chances to acquire more than just onesy-twosy users here and there.

My idea of posting this thread is not even concerned with virtualization.
As stated earlier:
3. People dislike change, and most dislike having to learn new things, and resist both strongly.
4. For those folks to accept Linux it NEEDS to be very much like what they already know.

Hence look-alike & work-alike distros; AND a need for such distros to be polished a bit.

Complications are NOT desirable; command-line centeredness is 100% TABOO; ease & familiarity are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to any possible success in this.

My attempt in this is to prove to myeslf, for the benefits of others (as explained earlier) that it CAN be done; to do it; and to be able to show it as having been do-able.

Aside of that...
I will solve my own need for virtualization via using a pre-built VM somehow by another method and assuredly not by going through all the nonsense of having to re-install and tweak an entire OS just to use a handful of apps.

Regardless of a minority (including myself...) desiring virtualization - Linux is now enough by itself to satisfy the 99% of users who want easy access to browsing, email and word processing MINUS the worries of needing to learn stuff that is quite beyond their technical skills and/or desires.

This has not been true enough for quite a few years; the average grandma or grandpa would have soon given up if they even sat down to try and use a Linux PC, but I have living proof it has passed the 'grandpa test'.

In that situation it would be beneficial to make things look just a bit more familiar for the former ween-doze users so they feel comfortable vs. stressed out when faced with things they are not equipped to cope with...

Personally, I am at a totally different user level than the routine grandma/grandpa user and I've got more demanding desires for any OS that I use than such folks are likely to have - and I am working upon meeting my own needs in my own ways...with some help here now and again for things which need help in doing - of course.

2moldy4me

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22:07 pm

I am not young myself; merely not operating at such a simple level as the elderly friend whom I helped into a very happy ZorinOS-centered Linux journey.

Briefly - in relation to the reply just posted:
It seems very sad to me that soon the very elderly folks may find themselves quite displeased - once they finally understand how the world has become 'Fukushima-d'...as the very young and very old are said (...by those who claim to know...) to be the most susceptible to radiation illnesses.

But posting this thread was not about people's ages or radiation illnesses or competing in any form.
As stated earlier, my thread is about this:

My attempt in this is to prove this for myself, and for the benefits of others that it CAN be done; to do it; and to be able to show it as having been do-able.

Happily, the ZorinOS is pretty much there already, so I am quite determined to tweak ZorinOS 5 as stated above to be a happy & reliable 100% replacement for that 'other' OS.

Having tried many Linux distros during these past years it is the ONLY one closest to what I've been waiting for, currently.

I do imagine it is very likely that this condition will change though - as competitors realize they are vying for occupation of the space so many users of ween-doze are currently abandoning.

Of course, should I find the need - and having the time & ability to learn, I may have to do something entirely different by re-using bits & pieces in my own way until that happens..but for now I see that the basis of Ubuntu 11.04 and the things Mr. Zorin & Co. did to tweak it into being windows-like are exactly the right fit for me.

So here I be.

Yes, my style is my very own and can be a smidgin colourful at times; but I am in all the important ways=> quite harmless.
(Whilst being curious & learning new things too, of course.)