This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

5.2 End OF Life???

smhardesty

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:49:27 pm

Earlier today I attempted an install of OS 6 Core and it failed miserably. I went ahead and installed 5.2 Core on that PC so now have 5.2 running successfully on all the PCs in the house. I know that 5.2 is based on Ubuntu 11.04 and 6 is based on 12.04 LTS. I'm also aware of the end of life (support) for each of those Ubuntu releases.

My real question is what the end of life for 5.2 Core is. Since it seems to work so well on all my PCs I'd really hate to have to start all over with installs and updates. How long can I expect support and updates for 5.2?

frits

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:25:02 pm

Same here, I hope it will be supported it for a long time. 6 is not the successor for me yet. If 6 will not become better for me I will move to Voyager after 5.2 is not supported anymore.

frits

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:08:48 pm

Thatś fine for me. Hope that 6 will improve in the mean time....... I am running it on my test PC to see if it could be my next one.

smhardesty

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:06:49 pm

swarfendor437,

If 5.2 was built on 11.10, why are all the repositories pointed to ubuntu natty and why does the install CD specifically say Natty Narwhal? That would indicate 5.2 was built on 11.04, not 11.10, which was why I had asked the original question. End of life for 11.04 is October 2012 - not very far off.

madvinegar

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:19:21 am

Indeed Zorin 5.2 is based on ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhal.

Only Zorin 6 LITE is based on ubuntu 11.10.

smhardesty

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:59:19 am

Looks like I need to try and make OS 6 Core work. I just read the replies to a post I put up about installation problems. I guess I'll try and get a good install of 6 on at least one of my boxes. Since I really like Zorin, I think I'd prefer to at least have support for a little longer than a few months.

kengator

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:06:17 pm

Hi smhardesty,

I just upgraded from 5.2 ultimate to 6 ultimate. It worked flawlessly when I installed straight from the iso DVD (install from dvd option on the boot menu). It detected that I had 5.2 and asked if I wanted to upgrade. No erasing partitions or anything like that. Very simple and straight-forward. (Note that I only have one OS running so I'm not sure about dual boot systems) Also: a lot of drivers have been updated in the new OS: my Canon MP560 printer and Wacom Bamboo now work right out of the box. Good luck.

smhardesty

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:35:50 pm

Nope. Spent most of the day trying everything I read here in the forum. Never did get it to work. And I did try the upgrade to a 5.2 option. It seemed to work, then when I rebooted I had nothing but a purple screen with AWN. Nothing else there and I couldn't even bring a terminal up with ctrl-alt-'T'. Now I'm not sure I want to continue pursuing Zorin as my one and only OS in the house.