This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Loving Zorin OS 6 Ultimate

waltff

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49:39 am

I have been using ZorinOS 6 Core since I saw the article in Distrowatch this past July and I even posted a comment about it. I may have tried zorin 5 way back when but don't remember. I am not new to Linux and have watched it grow into what it is today. In the mid to late 1990's the only way to get it was mainly going to a store and buying what ever distro put out a boxed edition (RedHat, Mandrake etc) I still have no problem paying for a Linux distribution. People tend to forget that real people are working hard to keep a distro going. Some of them are doing it on what ever spare time that they have or getting little sleep just to keep things current. You do get the people that still have the attitude that Linux is free and they shouldn't have to pay for anything and they are normally the ones that complain when something breaks or isn't updated fast enough for them. I have tried hundreds of distros in the past 15 or so years and I am sure I will try hundreds more in the years to come. I still have my favorites even if I am not using them all the time and keep up with what they are doing. It takes a lot to impress me since so many flavors of Linux look the same. Zorin caught my eye and I decided to try it even after telling myself that I had chosen another distro to be the one that I would stick with from now on. I am getting older and just want something that works without me having to tweak a lot. Zorin core comes with most of the programs I use and I just had to add a couple more to complete my desktop. I watched a couple of youtube vids showing Zorin ultimate so last night I broke down and donated to the Zorin group to be able to get it for myself. While it was downloading I backed up my computer so that i could do a complete new install. I burned the ISO to disk, installed it and set up the proprietary software and ran all the updates. It was getting late so I couldn't play with it until I got home from work tonight. I still had to add a couple of more programs that I use but for the most part Ultimate includes everything a general Linux user could ever want and more so. The extras that weren't included in core was what i really wanted to play with. I am not disappointed in what I paid for and I wish I had the extra cash to give the Zorin Team even more. They actually deserve it and I encourage everyone to donate what ever you can to them so that they can keep this flavor alive and well for years to come.