This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6 and things to ponder about

madvinegar

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:43:03 pm

You raise very good points.
My opinion to all the above is that Zorin, as it claims to be, is a "gateway to linux".
It creates a bridge for the MS users to cross over to linux. It creates a familiar environment for MS users so as they are not "scared off" by an unknown desktop.

Ofcourse, as you said, even if it looks like windows, it is not windows. However, it sets the necessary basis for the transition.

I, myself, am a very good example. I have been all my life an MS user. I tried too many times in the past to install and keep using a linux distro without success. Either it was too dificult, not complete, unfamiliar etc. When I came across Zorin and installed it, I kept it, learned it and I am still using it as my only OS.
I started using the win7 look (which was familiar for me) but now I use every other linux desktop look apart from the win7. Gnome, unity etc.

So, summarizing, it's good for new users to have an option of a familiar desktop (even if it is a fallback etc.) and after they feel safe with it, they can go on to experiment and try out everything else.

I really hope the devs can find a way to keep this fallback mode just for the newcomers, but also provide access to the up-to-date gnome kernels and desktop looks for the ones that would like to keep up with the changes.

madvinegar

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:13:20 am

As I said, and having the ease of judging from my own experience, I really "felt" what Zorin is all about.
I have tried to install and keep ubuntu from 9.04 version and then to 10.04, 11.04 etc. I still have the discs in my drawer. It didn't happen.
It was either too difficult, it felt too different and more importantly it was missing a lot of apps. This made the life of a newcomer to linux too difficult and in the end it drove him off.
And since you are right to say that Zorin is based on ubuntu (the devs never hid that) I believe that "zorin is ubuntu as it should be". Remember this phrase.
Zorin is ubuntu but more complete, with more options, with more programs preinstalled, with more looks. The magic word here is "preinstalled".
It is ideal for a newcomer. You install it and you have everything in it. It even has pre-installed WINE, which is essential for a newcomer to linux plus a ton of other programs (especially in the ultimate version).
If you are a newcomer and you install ubuntu, and you do not even know about linux programs, you have to set up the distro yourself and install a dozen of essential programs. This may sound good, but for a linux user. Not a linux newbie.

I will not hide behind my finger. I have installed ubuntu 12.04 in one of my computers. I am not a super Zorin fanatic who wears Zorin t-shirts and tattooed the logo of Zorin on my right arm.
However, in order to appreciate linux, and keep linux, it was zorin that did the trick for me. Not ubuntu. It was zorin that intriged me to keep learning, to keep searching. I have even learned how to use quite powerfully the command line! (which was scaring me off when trying ubuntu).
I may be using ubuntu now, but in order to get there I had to use Zorin as my gateway to Linux. And this is what makes Zorin differentiate from ubuntu and other distros.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:17:04 am

"I will not hide behind my finger. I have installed ubuntu 12.04 in one of my computers. I am not a super Zorin fanatic who wears Zorin t-shirts and tattooed the logo of Zorin on my right arm."

MV,,

shame on you, I have both the tatto and T-Shirt, you can order them you know :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:18:14 am

Wolfman wrote:"I will not hide behind my finger. I have installed ubuntu 12.04 in one of my computers. I am not a super Zorin fanatic who wears Zorin t-shirts and tattooed the logo of Zorin on my right arm."

MV,,

shame on you, I have both the tatto and T-Shirt, you can order them you know :D :D :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good morning WM !!!

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:36:22 am

Ariya wrote:Good morning to you guys! It is already past midday here.
Enough playing for two days with Zorin OS 6 Core. It was fun! :D

Have a look and tell what you think.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2606&p=11591#p11591

That's my Ubuntu 12.04 with eye candy and blings and with the changed Look Changer. :D

Have a good day!

PS: By the way, you can read about the fallback mode from the guys, who made it; http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-he ... de.html.en

Looks good :D :D :D :D

madvinegar

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31:35 am

I am talking to myself. Paranoia... :) :) :)

All the posts of the OP have been deleted. I don't know why...