This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Well Thanks A Lot

BubbaBlues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:33:24 am

Thanks a lot for ruining my Linux experience! I've been using Linux for about six years now. I've always been mostly a KDE
person. I could stand gnome 2 ok but it just didn't do it for me like kde, so I always reverted back. Then gnome 3 came out and
I couldn't even imagine how anyone would actually want something so crappy as that. Mint KDE has been my choice for a couple
of years because nothing else even came close to that quality in my opinion. However I always enjoyed trying different distros
(on a second hdd) trying to find something that might be as good as Mint, but I'd only keep them a short time, then try something
else. Then I installed ZorinOS 6 and started looking for the little faults that would bug me enough to replace it with something else.
Well it's still here and I still can't find anything I don't like about it. I removed the bottom panel and put the AWN bar in it's place knowing
that these docks are usually kind of buggy, but it works flawlessly. However, I never liked having a panel at the top of my screen, but
I needed it for the menu and system tray. Maybe that would eventually bug me enough to get rid of it. Then I discovered that I
could add the menu and system tray to the awn dock and still everything works perfectly and I no longer need the top panel at
all. Well I decided to boot back into Mint for a while and started discovering all of the things that bug me about it and how it no
longer has the appeal that it used to. In fact, ZorinOS 6 has set the bar so high that I can no longer find any other distro that even
comes close. I've tried at least fifty distros over the last five years and have never seen one yet that is as stable, versatile, user friendly,
and as much fun to use as this one. I just had to get this off my chest. You've ruined my favorite pass time.

BubbaBlues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:39:46 am

P.S. Now that my top panel has nothing in it, I set it to auto hide, but I'd like to remove it completely. But the "delete this panel"
option is greyed out. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to remove it?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:58:06 am

Nice post! :D

To delete the top or bottom bar, you can try the following.

First let's try the easy way and see if it works.

Press and keep pressed superkey+alt and then using your mouse right-click on the bar. See if you get an option to delete it from the list.

If that doesn't work, try through dconf-editor. (If you don'y have it installed, do so either through the software center or synaptics package manager or through terminal
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

Open it and navigate to
org > gnome > Gnome panel > layout

On the right you will see two entries.
One of them says: toplevel-id-list: ['top-panel' , 'bottom-panel']

Click on it and delete the 'top-panel' reference, so it becomes like this:
['bottom-panel']

Exit and hopefully the top panel will be gone.
To restore it, write back 'top-panel'

Wolfman

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12:14 am

Hi Bubba,

move your mouse to the very right of the top panel and right click it, then click on "Dock preferences > Remove dock".

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25:24 am

Just for clarification (and after discussing the matter with WM), are you using the "gnome 2" look of Zorin 6 and you want to delete the top panel?

BubbaBlues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:23:13 pm

There is no "Dock Preferences" when I right click anywhere in the panel.

There is no org/gnome/gnome panel in dconf-editor.

Yes it is the gnome2 look.

madvinegar

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33:14 pm

Hi again.
Just tried it again and I got one screenshot. Take a look at the parts I have underlined with red.

BubbaBlues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:34:32 pm

madvinegar

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38:11 pm

Have you installed Zorin 6 Lite? Or Zorin 6 core...?

Have you also tried the combination superkey(windows key)+alt and right clicking on the panel-bar?

BubbaBlues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:07:57 pm

Sorry, had to leave for work right after my last post. I'm home again. (short day)

I'm using ZorinOS core 64 bit. I tried the super key+alt + right click and it didn't change anything. It's the same as
right click without the other keys.
I wonder why my dconf-editor is so much different than yours. Mine doesn't have much on it. :?
They's sumpin' strange goin' on here. :shock:

Wolfman

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20:50 pm

Hi Bubba,

you are using either Zorin 5 or Zorin 6 Lite and that is why your dconf-editor looks different, can you confirm your OS please.

In Z5 and Z6 Lite you have gconf-editor which differs from Dconf-Editor somewhat!!!.

If I were you, I would first remove the bottom panel and then right click the top panel and move it using preferences to bottom!!.

I assume as you say you are using Gnome 2!!!.

BubbaBlues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:42:43 pm

I'm an idiot. Evidently I'm using 5.2 64 bit. I was sure that I downloaded the latest version but
I guess I just thought it was 6. It's definately 5.2 64 bit and the iso is 1.1 gig. I'm sorry about that.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:00:07 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
Never mind mate, mistakes happen, at least now we know!!.

BubbaBlues

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:20:56 pm

Now I get to go download Zorin 6 and see if it's as good as this. :D Who knows, I may have to go back and retract
every post I made raving about how good Zorin 6 is. Oh what a tangled web... :lol:

BTW, thank you guys for the replies and the help. 8-)

BubbaBlues

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:13:25 am

I don't want to get sideways with that guy. :shock:
Well my download of 6 still lacks about 45 minutes. DSL :roll:

Wolfman

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55:06 am

Yeah Bubba, watch out for Swarf, he really looks like that pic, it was taken recently on his holiday to Crete, its amazing what too much sun can do to you :D :D :D

Joking aside, please read this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

madvinegar

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04:55 am

Wolfman wrote:its amazing what too much sun can do to you :D :D :D

Imaging how I look like, having the sun 365 days of the year on me... ;)

BubbaBlues

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:40:46 am

Now that's a burn! :D
Well I installed Zorin 6 and played with it a while. Yeah I'm gonna be sticking with 5.2. 8-) This is still the best os I've ever had and I'll
stick with it as long as it's supported. The devs are to be commended on 6 though for doing as good a job as possible, but I don't think there
is anything anyone can do to make gnome 3 worth a pinch of $hit. Sorry, I hope that doesn't offend anyone. Maybe by the time 5.2 is no
longer supported gnome 3 will be tolerable but I kind of doubt it.

Auldyin

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33:25 am

BubbaBlues wrote:Now that's a burn! :D
Well I installed Zorin 6 and played with it a while. Yeah I'm gonna be sticking with 5.2. 8-) This is still the best os I've ever had and I'll
stick with it as long as it's supported. The devs are to be commended on 6 though for doing as good a job as possible, but I don't think there
is anything anyone can do to make gnome 3 worth a pinch of $hit. Sorry, I hope that doesn't offend anyone. Maybe by the time 5.2 is no
longer supported gnome 3 will be tolerable but I kind of doubt it.

Hi all
I agree with Bubbablues I'm staying with 5.2 I've been trying out 6 on a USB stick since it came out but have decided it's not worth the bother of installing on my hard drive, maybe 6.2 will change my mind.

Cheers Auldyin

:!: :roll: :( ;) :) :D

BubbaBlues

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:58:49 am

And it's sure not Zorin's fault. I've tried several varieties of gnome 3 and it never gets better. I told myself that I wouldn't even
bother trying it any more, but then I knew that if anyone could make it work, Zorin could, and they came close. But when you have
to jump through hoops through 5 or 6 tiers of configurations just to change a theme? God only knows what you have to do to set
a screen saver, I never did figure that one out. :lol: It's just utterly ridiculous what they have done to gnome. A shame really. :roll:

Wolfman

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:24:29 pm

Hi chaps,

I was also a very devoted Gnome user but have decided to stick with the Win7 look in Zorin, the Gnome devs certainly have their work cut-out to improve G3, lets wait and see what the future holds before we slag them off too much!!.

BubbaBlues

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:30:03 pm

Agreed. It might get better, KDE 4 was a nightmare when it first came out, but it eventually became a beautiful thing. Kinda going off the deep
end again now, but that's a complaint for another forum. :D I'm just so happy with 5.2, I don't even care. hehe 8-)