This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Guy

steveking

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:12:04 am

Hi I have desided to give Zorin a go after reading such a good review on darkduck.com. I have yet to buy/download it and was wandering what advice you can give me in choosing which one to go for?

I will mainly use it for web design/development so GIMP and bluefish. But I was interested it seeing what current users would recommend?

Cheers
Steve

Wolfman

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27:19 am

Hi Steve and welcome,

Zorin 6 Core Final would be your best bet as it has 5 years of support so you won't have to change your OS for a while.

You need to check the min requirements for your PC:

What are the minimum system requirements that I need to install Zorin OS?

For the GNOME based versions (non Lite):
700 MHz x86 processor
3GB of Hard Drive space
376 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
Sound card

For the LXDE based versions (Lite):
266 MHz x86 processor
2GB of Hard Drive space
128 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
Sound card

Gimp should work for you no problem, be sure to download the 32 or 64 bit version of the OS according to your type of PC!!.

Other than that; I cannot really say much else, if you have further questions you can post them on the forum.

Please take the time to read this post install guide which has several tips for you:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

steveking

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:31:42 am

Thanks Wolfman,

Hardware wise it won't be a problem. I was wandering on the Zorin 6 OS? I am an avid Linux user (professionally and personnaly) and I know that you advertise as a "Windows gateway" operating system, how are you for linux users in general? Do i still have terminal access? and software wise I hear you are based off ubuntu, does that mean you share repos? Can I simply add software the usual ubuntu way? Or do you use a different package manager?

I also saw the Zorin PC which was interesting as I need a new laptop, but did not see any pricings?

Cheers
Steve

Wolfman

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45:15 am

Hi Steve,

Zorin is based on Ubuntu so any or all repo's are the same and you can install your software in the same manner.

For prices about the Zorin PC, please contact the devs directly:

http://www.zorin-os.com/contacts.html

Regards Wolfman :D

steveking

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49:41 am

Many Thanks for the speedy reply Wolfman. I look forward to seeing what Zorin can offer me as I have yet to find a suitable operating system!

How is Zorin with muti monitors? I currrently have two that i use but am adding a third to show off :P ubuntu it was easy to set up and get going, but have had problems with other distro's in the past.

Have you used Zorin 6 Ultimate? I am going to install Zorin 5.2 (as its free) but am more than willing to go for the paid version if it is any good. What are the benefits of going for ultimate over the standard Z6??

Cheers
Steve

steveking

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:50:32 am

Hi swarfendor,

Thanks for the insight. I shall be purchacing a hard copy as soon as I get chance :) got to do what you can to support Linux dev's as they are carving the path the a better future!

Cheers
Steve