This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6 on my desktop

steveking

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:02:02 am

I finally managed to get around to installing Zorin OS 6 onto my desktop, and I must be honest it has been very good so far! Very smooth and easy to use, no problems with starting up or shutting down (which I have found with alot of Linux distro's), Found my network straight away and it seems to work very well with my wireless adapter which is a first!

You spend alot of time as a Linux user searching for that illusive perfect distro and I believe I may have found it. There is absolutely nothing that I can find to fault! Well... except on the update it won't install the flash-plugin-installer, yet youtube videos work ok? a little bit odd. But other than that no problems with installing any packages, or software.

The dev team have really got a winner here, no bugs that I have found so far! Looks are great (especially the theme changer) the stock wallpapers are quite nice aswell! No hint of that horrible ubuntu desktop thank you very much!

I have spread the word to a friend or two and so far possitive results! When not soo busy I shall write a nice little review on my blog and link it. May see some custom wallpapers popping up at somepoint too when im not too busy with web designs!

A happy user, and an enthusiastic user. Keep up the good work! I shall be back soon and shall see what I can do to help keep the community going!

Many Thanks
Steve

madvinegar

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:46:51 am

steveking wrote:except on the update it won't install the flash-plugin-installer,

Hi. It was nice reading through your post!

As regards your above problem, open terminal and run
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Wolfman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:54:41 am

Hi Steve,

please read this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2637

Take a look at "Another Tip".

Regards Wolfman :D

steveking

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:25:27 am

Ahh thank you very much! I forget that flash is listed in the restricted extras! You wouldn't think so as it is one of the most commonly used add ons but I guess its from a third party so its classed as "restricted".

I am really enjoying Zorin, as soon as I have moved to my new place (this weekend) I shall be purchasing the ultimate edition, are there any problems on delivery to the UK?

Cheers
Steve

Wolfman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57:41 am

Hi Steve,

you can download the ISO anywhere in the world, if you want a hard copy, there is a small P & P charge.

Did you fix your Flash issue??.

Regards Wolfman :D

steveking

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32:15 am

Yet to get time to fix the flash issue but now i know how to do it, it wont be a problem. :)

I would like a hard copy i think, but it may be just as easy to download and burn it myself. I will see what is best when I move :)

Looking forward to setting up my Zorin desk! 2 monitors and a TV full of Zorin!

cheers
steve