This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS KDE?

ryanwolf74

Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:19:03 pm

Hello I have been noticing Zorin OS for the last few months, and It helped greatly for me switching windows users to linux, but what about those other users who would like a KDE edition? I'd love to use Zorin myself but I dislike GNOME, Im more of a KDE desktop environment guy. I know I can install it manually but then I'd have a bunch of gnome c*** loading up on KDE and a bunch of kde c*** loading up on GNOME. :evil:

And if there will be no KDE edition of Zorin OS, can you at least make a link to the icon/zorin theme? they look abosolutly wonderful.

-Thanks! :D

PS - I tried installing KDE manually anyways, but it didn't even show up. Next thing I know it is filtered out. why?

gvhools

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:44:04 pm

good idea (kde) ryanwolf74,i think its not possible,,but must be wait the devs to reply :)

ryanwolf74

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:53:00 pm

Ehh I strongly dislike Ultimate Edition, it's wayyy too bloated and ugly.

paul leblanc

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:38:29 am

ryanwolf74 wrote:PS - I tried installing KDE manually anyways, but it didn't even show up. Next thing I know it is filtered out. why?

I got KDE4 installed and running beautifully. I don't hate Gnome, I just prefer KDE ;)
Kinda would make more sense to default w KDE4 as it is able to mimic Win7 far more closely than anything on Gnome. But that's just my opinion.

maxmm5

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:33:30 pm

Hi ryanwolf74, You can install KDE on Zorin, just follow the instruction on this site; http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde. It's working nicely on my netbook, though I like gnome more than KDE for simplicity and ease of use.

maxmm5

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:54:23 pm

It was proven that Gnome and KDE desktop can be use one at a time with Zorin, by installing KDE Plasma. You can select which desktop to use after hitting your login name on login; three window will appear on the panel bar (language, keyboard and desktop option), hit the up and down arrow on the later, select your desktop to login and wallah, you got two desktop to choice from on one OS. Please follow the instruction on the site I mentioned with my previous message above.

gvhools

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:03:08 pm

maxmm5,simple and beutefuul desktops :)
i want (Gnome) desktop configuration,icons,background....:) ;)

Obsidian1723

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:46:14 pm

1) Download Zorin OS Core 3.1 32 or 64 bit version
2) Remove the Gnome Desktop Environment
3) Install the K Desktop Environment (or whichever flavor your prefer)
4) Run Remastersys to create an image for later use, restorations, etc
5) Enjoy!!

maxmm5

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:30:12 pm

For those who installed KDE Plasma and later on decide to go back pure gnome; please follow instruction on this site http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome. BEWARE OF THE CONSEQUENCES!!!

VirtualNexus

Wed May 23, 2012 2:31:53 am

ryanwolf74 wrote:Hello I have been noticing Zorin OS for the last few months, and It helped greatly for me switching windows users to linux, but what about those other users who would like a KDE edition? I'd love to use Zorin myself but I dislike GNOME, Im more of a KDE desktop environment guy. I know I can install it manually but then I'd have a bunch of gnome c*** loading up on KDE and a bunch of kde c*** loading up on GNOME. :evil:

And if there will be no KDE edition of Zorin OS, can you at least make a link to the icon/zorin theme? they look abosolutly wonderful.

-Thanks! :D

PS - I tried installing KDE manually anyways, but it didn't even show up. Next thing I know it is filtered out. why?

The best KDE I know of and I have installed is Toorox KDE. They also have killer Gnome version that is the best of both Ubuntu and Gnome which just might sway you away from KDE altogether. You need to actually install them to see just how good they work. The live CD does not do them justice. very stable and good looking.
There's another one-of-a-kind called PCLinuxOS Full Monty that you might love too.

VirtualNexus

Wed May 23, 2012 2:37:39 am

Another good KDE is Mageia2, just out today.Comes in Gnome too. Mageia1 Gnome and KDE worked pretty good on my EEEPC

VirtualNexus

Wed May 23, 2012 2:57:11 am

Obsidian1723 wrote:1) Download Zorin OS Core 3.1 32 or 64 bit version
2) Remove the Gnome Desktop Environment
3) Install the K Desktop Environment (or whichever flavor your prefer)
4) Run Remastersys to create an image for later use, restorations, etc
5) Enjoy!!

Wow! I learn something new everyday about Zorin. I had no idea just how customizable and advanced Zorin really is until today. Apparently Zorin 5.2 has some very nice customizations too. I'd try it, but I'm afraid I might break what I have now. So I am downloading the 3.2 to install it on a different partition and see what I can do with it.

VirtualNexus

Wed May 23, 2012 3:45:20 am

VirtualNexus wrote:Another good KDE is Mageia2, just out today.Comes in Gnome too. Mageia1 Gnome and KDE worked pretty good on my EEEPC

Wait! I just downloaded the Mageia2 and it's a big FAIL. Nothing works, just like the Alpha and Beta did not work either. THE "Gnome" looks just like the Ubuntu not like the Zorin Gnome which is my favorite. I used the Mageia1 on a laptop for a year until I lost the window borders never to be found again and had to delete the OS to install Zorin 4.

VirtualNexus

Thu May 24, 2012 1:49:41 am

Hi, swarfendor437 I put Zorin OS 3.2 LTS on my Toshiba A70 and I was happy to see how smooth and fast it is. All effects working out of the box. Did all the updates and it runs like new.
Zorin 4 lite was too lite so I now I have Zorin OS 5.2 on my EEEPC 1001P with 2 gb RAM and I must say, it runs real good!
I definitely have Zorin OS fever! Using it right now as I type this!