This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6 installation

jymm

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22:05 pm

I finally updated from Zorin core 5.2 to Zorin 6. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the installation process. It seemed less intuitive than 5.2. I don't usually have a lot of patience for things not working. If I had not had Wolfman's advice and used Zorin before I would have probably moved on without trying the OS, as I have done with many, many distros before Zorin. With 5.2 everything worked (at least for me) right out of the box. Not so with 6.0. I could not download and install software from the Software Center or Synaptic or set the repositories. My check marks for the repositories would not stay and I keep getting security warnings. I had to go right to the terminal to get things working. Wolfman made this post to my asking about upgrading and it fixed the problems.

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 reaching end of life
Postby Wolfman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 am
Hi if you are doing a new install of Z6, this might interest you:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054 and: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247
Regards Wolfman :D

Thanks Wolfman, again the Moderators here are the best in Linux-land, anywhere.

Would a newbie know to look in the forum and find these topics or would they just give up? Hopefully this is not a trend with Zorin, I really do like the OS and want to see it survive and flourish. Ease of installation is the persons first real interaction with the OS and needs to be easy and work, or you will lose people.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11:40 am

Hi chaps,

@jymm,

thanks for the feedback, glad to be of assistance.

@Swarf,

what!, I should have at least 85 for all the trouble I went through :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D