This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Good install on old Dell 3000

hartford3

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:57:53 pm

Haven't been around here much lately.. My lap running Z6Core has been working right along for 6 mos. or so. However my sister's old Dell 3000 desk lost it's ability to XP any more so I get the beast. Right away I slap Zorin-6x32 on and we have us a great old unit. Even suffered through 400 and some updates and re booted just fine. The specs are Intel 4 dual 3.0 Ghz. Intel graphics of course. Only 512M ram (to be upted to 2G) but still functions well though a little slow. Even have those fancy effects when a window disappears. And, this is for my wife and teenager to use for home school. Which they have no problem with Linux, especially Zorin. So still here, just no problems with this OS.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:24:30 am

Hi,

glad to hear you are happy, for Nvidia graphics, check out this post and use the Compiz settings and the Nvidia PPA:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :D

hartford3

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:14:52 pm

Hay Wolfman! How goes it?
that's a good link for Nvidia. Carried that out on my Desk Acer..helped a lot of shaky things..The girls Dell has the 'ol Intel integrated. Still does the Compiz effects well. Even cube etc. Was surprised with that old beast. Sister had it since 200? and never did any maintence or updates.. LOL..Still ran till last month.. But now we groovin along with Zorin...Life is good.

hartford3

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25:51 pm

We don't run any what would be classed as notebooks. My old HP laptop seemed to run the fan an awful lot after installing Linux. Not sure why or if windows ran hot on it. Never booted with W-XP when I bought it. Just right away installed Zorin. I only noticed it runs more on high graphics use, say playing games. I cleaned all the vents and fan/heat sink and saw a slight improvement.

madvinegar

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:48:45 pm

hartford3 wrote:We don't run any what would be classed as notebooks. My old HP laptop seemed to run the fan an awful lot after installing Linux. Not sure why or if windows ran hot on it. Never booted with W-XP when I bought it. Just right away installed Zorin. I only noticed it runs more on high graphics use, say playing games. I cleaned all the vents and fan/heat sink and saw a slight improvement.

Do you have an ATI GPU?

Give the outcome of
Code:
sudo lshw -C display

and
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga

hartford3

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:45:40 am

Chuckle!! Whatever, I was (bad) holding it on lap on the couch. And watch TV at the same time. Last winter it kept my hands (and lap) warm. LOL. Also have one of those cr48 Google "netbooks" the sent me. It runs very warm. And (yes more) have mint12 on a notebook. You guessed it. Runs hot. So to answer question; you may as well stick with Zorin. It's cooler (pun) than most the rest. cheers!

Wolfman

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:05:01 am

Hi all,

the biggest factor in hot running notebooks/laptops/netbooks is people put them on their laps or bed or couch and block the intake fan which is nearly always underneath, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that out, a message to all, DON'T BLOCK THE INTAKE FAN(S).

Wolfman

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04:51 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Hi all,

the biggest factor in hot running notebooks/laptops/netbooks is people put them on their laps or bed or couch and block the intake fan which is nearly always underneath, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that out, a message to all, DON'T BLOCK THE INTAKE FAN(S).

Does that apply to nostrils too?! :lol:

Just keep your mouth open during PC usage Swarf and you can't go wrong!!. :D :D :D :D

joking aside, you can buy a notebook tray to rest the PC on, I have one, they cost around $20 or Euro's and they are very comtortable.

hartford3

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:34:21 pm

this sites a mess....still works...uh, novemberr:13 duck! Zorin13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 14