This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Forum User

rickwillson

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:35:00 am

Hi All,
I am a new forum user. My name is Rick. I am from Oregon, USA. I have never used Zorin, but thinking strongly about giving it a try. I am a computer tech, have been for 20 or so years.
I have basically only used Windows, except for Linspire for a short time. I know that Unix and Linux are both very good and very powerful OS's. But, I really dont remember very many DOS commands, and I know none of the commands in either Unix or Linux. But I am a good learner :D
Anyway, I am just saying hi and hope to have some fun with the Zorin OS
Thank you for letting me join.
Rick

jymm

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17:17 am

Hi Rick. I am from Wisconsin. I wouldn't worry to much about not knowing the commands for now. I came to Zorin from Windows and seldom even need the command line. I know it is very powerful if you want to use it, but Zorin really is easy, and with Ubuntu tweaks, software center/ Synaptic and the system update yo don't need the command line all that much. I found a good place to start is DistroWatch, under package management. They have a cheat sheet that is very helpful. From there it is easy to look up commands.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resour ... management

Also if you just look on the internet you can find commands. Debian, Ubuntu and Zorin all share a common base.

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/commands.htm

Last, the moderators here are great, best in Linux land. Read the tutorials. I wanted Open Office instead of Libre Office and with help from here was able to download, extract and move the program to the right directories so that I can now use the program.

Good luck and have fun. Zorin is great.

rickwillson

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:58:12 am

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I have downloaded the Zorin 6.0 Core ISO and have made my install disc. I have also booted from it into Live and it seems to work very well on my laptop. Zorin sure looks different, but really not that different. Its kinda hard t explain but I am just about ready to give up Windows all together. Although I am thinking of installing a dual boot system to start with just in case I dont like it.
But from what I have seen and read I think I will like it just fine.
Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on my sucess.
Rick

kengator

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52:49 am

Hi Rick,

I think that you'll like Linux. I switched over to Zorin ~6 months ago and have had no regrets. Some things that I've found:
- Much faster than MS
- Much more customizable than MS (Look at the thread "What's your desktop look like")
- WINE is available for programs that have not been ported over to LINUX (my kids like PIVOT)
- Great help from the folks on this forum
- If interested in programming, you should check out PYTHON. imho much easier and fun to program than even PEARL.

One nice thing is that I don't fret about all this window 7 versus 8 versus touch screen computers, blah, blah, blah. I just smile as the windows community does its usual in-fighting after a new release.

Have fun.

kengator

Wolfman

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:43:13 am

Hi Rick and a welcome from me too :D :D :D :D

Please take the time to read through at least the guides about updating and post install guide as you can learn a lot in a short time!!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Should you have an Nvidia graphics card:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

And as Swarf and Kengator have pointed out; enjoy and have fun :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D

rickwillson

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:14:25 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Also 6.1 is now out and includes what would lead to 571 updates if you install 6.0! :D

Hi, you are correct in as far as the updates are concerned. I have installed 6.0, and now I have 445 updates awaiting download. I am sure there will be more.
As far as the OS is concerned, so far I like it. I tried to make it a dual boot with Windows, but the Boot Loader must have done something with the Windows Boot Loader as when I select Windows 7 the screen goes black then comes back to the Zorin Boot Loader. I am sure there is something I can do to make Windows come back, but I am not sure what it is. Oh well...
Thank you all so much for your help and comments.
Rick

Wolfman

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:11:49 am

Hi Rick,

have you tried "Boot repair" ?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

rickwillson

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23:28 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Rick,

have you tried "Boot repair" ?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Hi Wolfman,
Thank you for the response. Yes, I just tried Boot Repair - 4 times. Each time just a little different.
Here is the url it gave me to post - http://paste2.org/p/2477702 and [url]http://paste2.org/p/2477832
[/url]
Hopefully you can click the link and see what is happening, as I really have no idea :-)
Thanks,
Rick

Wolfman

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09:48 pm

Hi,

insert Boot Repair in again and this time only repair MBR and reboot, you will find (should find) that you only now have a Windows boot manager, if that is successful, reboot again with BR and repair the GRUB and reboot.

Let us know what happens.