This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Defending Zorin OS in PC World

brainout

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21:02 pm

Hi everyone,

A guy posting this topic -->http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/149306-zorin-6/ badmouths Zorin OS and I tried to explain to him that his bad experience with the free version didn't pertain to the paid version. But maybe you all can help him better.

I've not yet installed Zorin myself, am only now burning to DVD, the zip download of Ultimate I received on 9/7 (from France server). Here in the US it's end-year-planning of tax deductions, so I won't have time to install it and rebut him further. So if any of you feel like doing that, I'd be grateful.

Will be buying more copies once I decide how to deploy and on what machines. Thank you!

waldojim

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46:41 pm

Actually, I am the person who wrote the post that this person is bitching about.

What I posted was exactly what I found when I used the OS on a Lenovo W520. For those here that don't understand, this is an abysmal experience that I would prefer not to repeat. I also made a few personal thoughts on the idea of paying for open source software wherein the money paid does not go back to the actual authors of said software.

If you really want to go read it, do it. Maybe you guys will fix a few problems.

But you really might want to consider banning Brainout now. That troll has been spamming the **** out of the pcworld forums with trolling garbage, and absolutely refuses to learn... much less read.

You don't need that negative karma here.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:30:21 pm

Hi guys,

nice that you both feel passion for disscusion but we don't want anyone starting a public slagging match.

Everyones opinion is valid but lets keep it civil whether you are pro or contra.

To nip this in the bud; this topic is now LOCKED.

Regards Wolfman :D

FOOTNOTE by swarf': The problem with any GNU/Linux OS is that it does not have proprietary drivers to get access to like M$/Intel (Wintel) does - there are some laptops out there that will not run because of proprietary driver/configuration issues. (Apologies to Wolfman but I had to say it! :mrgreen: )