This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Why would one use the Wine Interface>

KarterJK

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54:50 am

With the Zorin 6 Ultimate (which I am running), it has Wine and VirtualBox installed by default

After looking at Wine and playing around with it, for the life of me, I can;t even begin to understand why people would want to use it. Every thing I tried, it was horrid. On the other hand you can setup a virtual machine via VirtualBox, load any type of OS you want and run a dual operating systems. It is so easy to switch from one to the other.

The only reason I could even begin to think of for using Wine, is that a person may not have a Windows disk to install.

I don't mean to be disrespectful of the Wine team, but really.... Or am I missing something?

madvinegar

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:25:54 am

You are missing something. There are windows apps that run just fine via wine. For example I use all the time "aviaddxsub" to add subtitles to my avi movies. It works great via wine. And so many others.
The only reason I installed win7 via virtual box was just in case I needed ms office.

Deacon

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:54:31 am

Because of support for native file types for various apps that aren't yet supported in Linux ones. If there wasn't easy access to one's windows files natively, a lot of people wouldn't switch. But because this OS is very friendly to a Windows user, I predict there will be a lot of Zorin users long before that Windows clone thing gets off the ground.