This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Checklist/Practicality for average users

OSTeck

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24:28 pm

Hello, This is the first time in a long time I've been excited about software! I'm a hardware guy by nature and I'm in the process of building a new PC and I was looking for alternatives to Windoze as I've become displeased with their gustapo tactics via the release of win8 (an abomination). I have a copy of win7 ultimate I could use on this system but I really don't want to bother....if I don't have to.

Q: Is Zorin a practial REPLACEMENT for win OS?

What I mean is....I have a list of programs that an OS must have to satisfy my uses/needs. I'm not particularly interested (at this point) in fooling around with replacements for the software I'm already running: iTunes, FireFox, Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Lightroom, Sketchup, Maya 4.5, etc. and of course GAMES: BF3, Crysis (can't wait for 3), Civ V, Assasins Creed III etc.

From what I understand, there is a platform called "WINE" which can support all my windoze OS installations of these programs and enable them to work.

Is that correct?

Q2: There are a number of software "bugs" that need to addressed for compatibility and getting functions to work right out of the box with Zorin. Ok, no problem. What is a good list of things to address?

I'm a reasonablly tech savvy person, I fool around with microcontrollers, some light web design, etc. But I'm no software developer or plc engineer. Are these issues ones I can reasonably tackle?

Q3:Is compatibility going to continuously be an issue? or once I get my system set up can I rely on it to function without the headaches of constant trouble shooting (less new software additions)?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to sticking it to Windoze and becoming a "Linux snob" lol :D

OSTeck

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:27:48 pm

Great! That's an excellent start to a lot of my questions. I've seen a lot of your posts swarfendor437 and you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you very much. But I've got some follow up questions for you :D

This list of supported apps, is this a snapshot of most or all existing patches? Or is this a list of software patches developed by each specific developers?

Also, if there is a current patch supporting games like BF2 for instance, can one assume that the same patch will support the next version of BF (#3) supposing there are no major changes to the platform (FrostByte3)?