This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6 - Loving it soooooo

Outlooker

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:47:55 pm

Wow. Zorin 6. Just loving it soooooooo much. Every day I find something new.

This is from a Windows 3.1 to windows 7 and Linux Knoppix/Damn small Linux to Ubuntu/Mint person. And before that - Commodore plus 4/Amstrad CPC :)

Keep up the good work guys - Wonderful....... Now know what distro I will be using 8-)

Outlooker

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:37:30 pm

Happy Christmas to you as well. Working until 6am christmas day but hey someone got to do LOL.

My first experience of computers was a records keeping organisation which had cards with holes on them.(punch card system) and using the telex to send messages. I was so slow at typing that I use to type it all out on the ticker tape and then send via the tape. The other end use to think I was a touch typist as it went over the air so fast LOL.

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERY ONE -

Deacon

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:25:39 pm

Outlooker wrote:And before that - Commodore plus 4/Amstrad CPC :)

You get an award just for that one in my book. Even most C-64 owners didn't know what a Plus 4 was. I wanted one until until I realized sprites couldn't be played with. (Like most kids of the Commodore generation, Garry Kitchen's GameMaker convinced me that I was next in line to run Imagic. Obviously that never happened for anyone.)

swarfendor437 wrote:My potted history: Shop Steward and Safety Rep for a TU many years ago - they ran Windows 3.1 - but all you got at boot time was the flashing C:/ DOS Prompt - had to type 'WIN' to boot into Windows! (no autoexec.bat!)

First experience with a batch file was having to write one in computer class in Junior High 25 years ago. I remember the teacher saying "you're going to need this stuff, because no one else is learning it." Back then, even I didn't get it and I was already big on tinkering with computers. Never occurred to me at the time that he really meant it-- that no one else in town was even touching this stuff, and here he was literally handing us the foundations of that design principle that probably made that whole class comfortable with Linux later in life: that the GUI and the OS could be -- and initially were-- separate components.

That and we were also unafraid of a terminal window. :)