This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 6 problems.

messmanager

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:50:19 pm

HELP!

Has anyone else had a problem installing os 6.1 and 6.2 Core?
I have tried installing this on 4 different mobos, 3 Asus and 1 AsRock, using 4 different CPU's, (P4, Pentium D, E7500 and Q8400). Also using both the onboard graphic card and PCI-e/AGP, 2 different PCI -e and 2 different AGP NVidia cards. Different memory ranging from DDR3 8 GB to PC5300 2 GB. Both 64 bit and 32 bit have also failed.
Downloads made via WiFi connection and hard wire. I used Firefox, IE and Chrome, all to no avail. Tried inastalation via DVD and Pendrive.

The installation is very, very unstable with the picture/graphics flicking all over the shop denying me access to updates or systems. All installation end up the same.

Am running 5.2 with no problems at all. Runs like a dream and very recommendable. os 6 though is another story.
Any comments or help would be most welcome. I was hoping to invest in the Ultimate version but am reluctant to do so with this type of result.

messmanager

Fri May 03, 2013 1:23:52 pm

Thanks to those who responded and an apology for not getting back sooner.

I was very enthused to have the new v6.2 installed that I made a donation to enable me to be provided with a DVD from the source. This has now been received and Zorin 6.2 is up and running. This was not without problems.
This post is therefore an update and warning to those unprepared for the problems that arise. This particular installation problem was nothing to do with download quality, download speed nor with verification. This is a simple failure of not checking with previous posts on problems with v6. It would appear that it is not, as yet, compatible with some, or maybe even all, NVidia graphics boards. It works perfectly with the integrated motherboard graphics, Intel, so that may be the way forward for those having difficulties. I can only hope that someone will come up with a solution soon so that those of us wishing to escape from the claws of Microsoft can do so with what I perceive to be the best distro in the Linux stable.

Thanks again for the input and interest.

messmanager

Mon May 06, 2013 3:42:35 pm

Hi swarfendor437

Your last response does leave me more than a little confused. From the contents, unless I am misreading it, you indicate that it is the hardware and it's drivers that seem to be at fault. I find this hard to agree with. I have installed Mint with no problems. I have even tried Ubuntu with no problems. Slackware, Pinguy, Chrome, Tails, Mandriva and even Shackbox, to mention just a few of those I've tried, all with no conflicts or problems. As I mentioned in my first post I have also tried this on many different configurations of motherboards, CPU's and memory. To my mind this only leaves Zorin 6. Zorin 4 and 5 also run with no problems. It is only Zorin 6 that has this hang up.

I'm sorry if I seem to be raining on the parade but surely with all this evidence it may be possible for someone investigate as to why. Unfortunately I'm not geeky enough to program and only install and build. Still a good OS, though.

Wolfman

Mon May 06, 2013 7:57:32 pm

Hi,

my tuppence worth, there is a fix for Nvidia drivers here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

It is also mentioned in the post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

I have an Nvidia rig too and the drivers work no problem!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Mon May 06, 2013 8:07:26 pm

Hi Swarf,

check directly with AMD for ATI drivers, just make sure you put in the correct parameters!:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I think for the older cards you would need the "Legacy Drivers", I am not sure!!.

Wolfman

Tue May 07, 2013 6:38:29 am

Hi swarf,

I am really not sure, if you go to the site I posted; it will tell you exactly what you need!!.

messmanager

Tue May 07, 2013 9:29:25 am

Hi Wolfman

I tried your link to the other post, regarding NVidia drivers, but this did not work 'as advertised'.
I followed the instructions, with the input via the terminal, a line at a time. Once installed I re-booted, as instructed, and, surprise, surprise, it worked, with a very stable screen. Unfortunately when the updates flagged up and I clicked on the tab it vanished, to use a quote from Snagglepuss "Exit...stage right". Error messages also appeared but I could not read them as they...you guessed it..."Exit, stage right".
Any ideas?

Wolfman

Tue May 07, 2013 12:00:59 pm

messmanager wrote:Hi Wolfman

I tried your link to the other post, regarding NVidia drivers, but this did not work 'as advertised'.
I followed the instructions, with the input via the terminal, a line at a time. Once installed I re-booted, as instructed, and, surprise, surprise, it worked, with a very stable screen. Unfortunately when the updates flagged up and I clicked on the tab it vanished, to use a quote from Snagglepuss "Exit...stage right". Error messages also appeared but I could not read them as they...you guessed it..."Exit, stage right".
Any ideas?

Hi,

reboot into recovery mode and activate "Network" then run "DPKG" using a cable connection only:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Then restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt +Del, don't click on "Resume" !!.

Wolfman

Tue May 07, 2013 8:42:47 pm

Further to Swarfs suggestion, did the screen go white when you had more than one window open and did you check the part of the Nvidia guide about adjusting settings in Compiz??.

messmanager

Thu May 09, 2013 9:45:47 am

I give it another try. And ,NO, the screen did not go white.
Here's hoping...

messmanager

Wed May 22, 2013 9:57:49 am

Quick update:
I've re-installed 6.2 and it's running perfectly, even updating and with no problems regarding unstable platform or NVidia graphics. Strange but true.
I did, however, ensure that my HDD was not only reformatted but also completely wiped and erased so that no other OS traces were left. This may have been the answer.
Thanks again to all who contributed.