This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Netrunner looks on Zorin install?

jeam

Thu May 16, 2013 4:27:21 pm

Hi, I'm fairly new to Zorin and have posted only a few times here. I'm still exploring a switch (from Windows) to Zorin OS fulltime, but I haven't been totally thrilled with what I can only describe as the "grainy" or "powdery" look of the taskbar, windows, and other graphical elements. Sorry, I don't have the technical vocabulary to pinpoint the problem, all I can say is that what I see on the screen just isn't as smooth and sharp as what I get on Windows Vista or even 7. (This is something I've noticed with every Linux distro I've tried, except for the one I discuss in the next paragraph.) Since I spend a lot of time at the computer, it's important to me to have something that's visually appealing.

The other day I learned of another Linux distribution, Netrunner (12.12), which does offer the sharp graphics that I'm looking for. The taskbar, the windows, even the text elements all look highly refined. OTOH, Netrunner is a step back from the Windows-like workings of Zorin OS, which as a newcomer to Linux is what I find most attractive about it.

So what I'd like to know is this: is there any way to "marry" the Windows look-and-feel of Zorin OS to the fabulous sharp graphics of Netrunner? Ideally, I would like to get Netrunner-level visual smoothness within Zorin.

Thank you in advance for any ideas or insights about this.

Wolfman

Thu May 16, 2013 6:05:11 pm

Hi,

interesting observations, could you supply more details of your system, do you have an ATI or Nvidia graphics card, have you installed said drivers??. RAM and CPU would help too!.

For Nvidia graphic cards, please see this link:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

ATI drivers can be installed directly through the System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers tool.

Have you fully updated?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Have you checked out the post install guide?.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Let us know if you require further help.

Regards Wolfman :D

jeam

Thu May 16, 2013 7:38:10 pm

My test machine has an Nvidia GeForce GT 640, but right now the Linux partition contains Netrunner. I haven't done anything serious with it, just getting a feel for the OS, so I could put Zorin back on the disk, follow the steps you outline, and see what happens.

I think I'll do exactly that as soon as I get the chance to in the next few days, and then report back.

madvinegar

Fri May 17, 2013 1:07:12 pm

Netrunner uses the KDE desktop. This is why it's more fancy.

You can try to install just the KDE desktop on Zorin by running the following command in terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Then to use it, you logout, you select from the list the "KDE desktop" and then you log back in.

I have not tried it, so do that at your own risk.

jeam

Fri May 17, 2013 7:50:46 pm

Ah, very good, thanks!

First I'll reinstall Zorin OS following Wolfman's suggestions and then I will try that, see how things go.

Wolfman

Fri May 24, 2013 7:17:40 am

Just to make you aware, if you do install kubuntu as MV suggests, you may well lose all the Zorin features, if you want KDE support under Zorin; I suggest you just install the package "kde-full" which will give you a full KDE DE should you want/need it, Kubuntu will take over everything!!. (MV did say use at your own risk!!)

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get install kde-full

I always install both Gnome and KDE base packages as I find it adds to the stabilty of the system, and the command for both packages is:

sudo apt-get install kde-full gnome

Regards Wolfman :D