This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Howdy

NGIB

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14:38 am

Like most folks I tend to hop around with distros but I have been very impressed with Zorin 7 Lite. I really don't like all the bloated DEs today such as KDE and Gnome3+ and LXDE just works. Here's my question: Is there going to be a 64 bit version of Lite? Lubuntu has the 64 bit version but to be honest it does not work as smooth as Zorin...

Anonymous

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:30:07 am

I doubt it ... being it's called Zorin OS >> Lite << !!!! :D :D

NGIB

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35:44 am

I know and I have anything but Lite hardware. My main box is a Core I7 with 8GB RAM and a 2 GB nvidia video card - I just prefer LXDE to the other desktop environments...

Anonymous

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:00:11 pm

Look Here > : http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lxle

This might be more to your liking !!!!

Now how LXDE would run on any of the other versions of Zorin OS....I have know clue.
LXLE has all the good Desktops for you to switch between when you get bored.
They did a real good job at configuration with LXLE and it's stable...that I can say.
You can always take the Zorin OS Core 64-bit and add LXDE !!!!

NGIB

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26:25 pm

I looked at LXLE and the developer threw everything plus the kitchen sink into it. It's tied to a number of PPA repos and I prefer things simple & elegant. It's no problem as the 32 bit runs just fine.

Is the Ranger tab for real? I'm retired USAF and work for the Army at Ft Stewart...

NGIB

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:45:11 pm

I hate installing one DE on top of another. LXDE will pick up and display generally everything in the /usr/share/applications directory and it makes the menus themselves huge. I suppose I could install LXDE and then purge the other DE, not sure how clean that would be though as you still probably have a lot of unnecessary stuff hanging around. Your screen shot looks good though. It's funny, I have hardware capable of running any DE I want and I tend to prefer the simplicity of LXDE. If I was forced to use KDE with Compiz - I'd probably go postal...

Anonymous

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:26:26 pm

NGIB wrote:I looked at LXLE and the developer threw everything plus the kitchen sink into it. It's tied to a number of PPA repos and I prefer things simple & elegant. It's no problem as the 32 bit runs just fine.

Is the Ranger tab for real? I'm retired USAF and work for the Army at Ft Stewart...

It's very real !!!!

NGIB

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:42:07 pm

datek1 wrote:
NGIB wrote:I looked at LXLE and the developer threw everything plus the kitchen sink into it. It's tied to a number of PPA repos and I prefer things simple & elegant. It's no problem as the 32 bit runs just fine.

It's very real !!!!

Very cool! Thanks for your service. I was USAF, 2 of my kids and my SIL were Army and all did time in the desert...

Anonymous

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:46:13 pm

NGIB wrote:
datek1 wrote:

It's very real !!!!

Very cool! Thanks for your service. I was USAF, 2 of my kids and my SIL were Army and all did time in the desert...

Panama > Storm > the rest is classified !!!!