This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GPT Versus MBR Partioning...

erko326

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:46:56 pm

GPT Versus MBR Partioning...

The objective is to load Zorin alongside of WIN 8 Pro (once in operation), in a Dual-Boot configuration.

At this stage I'm trying to do my homework in an effort to get it all correct and efficient.

Regarding formatting & partitioning in the GPT Partition Style vs. MBR Partition Style while loading the WIN 8 OS, does either Partition Style make any difference at all when it comes time to the loading of Zorin?

Thank you in advance for any help!

erko326

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51:31 pm

Thanks for the response . . .

My unit is a ThinkPad E530 Notebook, presently running WIN 7 Pro.

My plan was to upgrade (clean install) to WIN 8 Pro, and then apply Zorin 6 or 7, or Mint 15, alongside in a Dual-Boot set-up, whichever would effectively work.

Actually, I've seen a successful Dual-Boot (WIN 8 & Linux Mint 15 Olivia) at: http://www.avoiderrors.net/install-linux-mint-15-olivia-alongside-windows-8/.

I was wondering about Zorin & WIN 8 in a Dual-Boot?!

Also, it may not be a concern but, I was also wondering if it made any difference for Linux/Zorin in either a GPT or MBR Style Partition?

Thanks for the help!

~Lee

Anonymous

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42:12 pm

They all show you how to install GNU/Linux along beside Windows 8, but they don't show you all the crazy things that happen afterward.
Neither is stable enough in my opinion to even try to dual-boot the two on the same drive.
Separate drives not a problem....!!!!
You have a perfectly good Notebook with Win7Pro, leave things just the way they are.

I would wait til the Win8.1 version comes out on the market in October before doing anything.
Your chances will greatly improve with all the updates > changes ect.

erko326

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:17:02 am

Thanks for the input, 'datek1!' I will give that very serious consideration!!!

Okay, then how about a WIN 7 Pro 64-bit (which is on my ThinkPad now) and Zorin 6 or 7 (or Mint 15) in a Dual-Boot set-up? And, if that is a workable combo, which should a guy choose in the Linux distributions: 32-bit (which, I'm told will work in a WIN 64-bit system) or 64-bit Zorin (or, Mint 15)???

(I probably need to mention that my ultimate objective is to have a Linux distribution (be it Zorin, preferably or Mint 15, et al) ONLY on the ThinkPad. In time, and through attrition, I plan on phasing-out MS altogether.)

Thanks, again, for the help! :)

Anonymous

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:06:35 am

In my opinion Linux Mint is lousy because they worry more how it looks than how it runs.
Your running Win7Pro 64-bit you shouldn't have any problems dual booting the two on the same drive.
You can run 32/64 bit, but if I were you, for best performance use the 32-bit Core/Premium > Zorin OS 7
Like I said that Notebook will run any version of Zorin OS it's mainly up to you.
Lastly listen to Swarfendor > Wolfman on how to partition the drive the right way. > Hint Hint !!!! :D :D

Note : Make sure you make a Win7 recovery partition preferably a external hard drive > safe and sound out of the way for a later day.

Alternatives that are good to use.
Xubuntu
Pear OS
Pinguy OS

erko326

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:23:58 am

Thanks, 'datek1!'

Zorin is my preference, from experience. I ran Zorin Ultimate ONLY on my former Samsung Netbook for a little over a year(+|-) and I REALLY liked it! The Netbook finally died and that has probably been a good year ago. I'm just now getting back to Linux distributions, now. My ThinkPad was acquired specifically for getting into Linux again.

I had tried Mint, before being introduced to Zorin. Back then, the problem w/ Mint on the aforementioned Netbook was that it periodically crashed. So, back then, looking to make Mint for my ONLY OS on the Netbook, under prevailing circumstances, could not be an option. Then came Zorin, and a whole new ballgame.

I have a little bit of another concern w/ the ThinkPad. It has three (3) Primary Partitions: 'System_Drv,' Windows7_OS(c)' and 'Lenovo_Recovery(q).'

Four (4) Primaries is max for, what I believe to be, an MBR Partition Style on the ThinkPad. This is why I was questioning about MBR versus GPT. GPT Partition Style allows for one hundred twenty-eight (128) Primary partitions. I'm guessing that the GPT option is maybe something new that came along w/ WIN 8?!

Where do I find the partition stuff w/ Wolfman, et al, that you were talking about (Wolfman & I are Zorin Forum Friends from way-back, although he probably won't remember?!)?

BTW, I am not too concerned w/ WIN 8's reputation. I've watched articles about the auto-update v/ 8.1 that is coming and, from what I've seen it looks really good. So, my plan was to put WIN 8 on (which came w/ the ThinkPad as an option), continue w/ my dual-boot plan, struggle w/ WIN 8 (if it would be a reality) and ultimately acquire the auto-update v/ 8.1. The end result I figured would be a pretty nice set-up (Dual-Booted WIN 8.1 & Zorin), until I ultimately dumped MS altogether.

Thanks, again, 'datek1!' :)

~Lee

erko326

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:59:00 pm

Hi 'swarfendor437!'

Thanks for the input! I've copied it and I'll digest it all in the days to come.

The Zorin LTS will most-probably be my choice should I adopt the Zorin OS.

Regarding 32 versus 64 bit Zorin on a 64-bit system (my ThinkPad), I read what you mentioned about it. Realistically speaking, which is the easiest and most efficient to deal with in my specific case?

Also, I'm going send you a PM to quickly discuss something a little off-topic.

Thanks, again, for your help.

~Lee

erko326

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:04:31 pm

Okay!

Thanks, 'Swarf!'

That is a consideration that I hadn't given any thought to - - good point!

Thanks, again! :)

~Lee

erko326

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:01:50 pm

( MBR versus GPT partitioning is, w/o going into a long explanation, self-resolved. )