This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

sound quality

darcysmoke

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:13:00 pm

hi people forgive me if im in the wrong section, this is my first post and im a first time linux user. i was seduced by zorin as it was newb friendly and slowly im finding my way around it, want to stick to it as i really like it.....theres a big but though, playing audio files and watching films leaves me deflated, with win 7 64bit and media player using a program called DFX audio enhancer i had impressive sound quality from home theater system (surround sound)
what i hear now is truly awfull and ruins my enjoyment. can anyone recommend a quality player and plug in i can use?
DELL LATTITUDE E6440
ZORIN 6 ULTIMATE LTS

Anonymous

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:05:04 pm

You ever think about XBMC !!!!

It works just fine on either.... Zorin OS or Windows 7.

The great part is the graphics that go along with the audio.

Uzi

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:38:46 pm

I dont know whether this will help but it did for me. I use SMplayer - have done for years even on Windows before changing to Zorin. Plays everything.

This is how I set things up. First click on the sound app in the tray or through System Settings - then select the hardware tab & your device. Select from the drop down menu your speaker set up (5.1 - 6.1 etc) & test your speakers.

Then in SMplayer when you play your movie, under Audio select 'Filter' and volume normalisation, then select 'Channels' and 5.1. My sound is spot on then.

You may also need to add GNOME Alsa Mixer from the Software Center too

Hope this is of some help.

Uzi.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34:36 pm

It would be great if Zorin had this in the repos like Pear does with the YouTube extension. Great interface.

ElectricRider

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43:30 pm

I'll add a tip to this. Seems one thing that helped me is to install a graphic equalizer as one is missing by default in Zorin 7.1. I have heard of folks using Kmix, a mixer for KDE - seems any graphic EQ will do as long as you have all the right dependencies.. I myself installed the PulseAudio Equalizer and this works fine to boost my sound.