This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Which browser

msrmf

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25:52 am

What browser do you use? I downloaded opera a couple of days ago is my favorite now, especially in linux seems faster than others.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:38:26 am

Hi,

despite all its problems, I still am a FireFox user, I do use Google Chrome now and then too!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57:09 am

Another vote for Opera here - but now I have come across how to get flash working in Midori I might try that for a bit (still has issues uploading files though) - Midori is even faster than Opera! Others to consider are Ice Weasel and Ice Cat - based on Firefox but without the spyware.

order99

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:21:09 pm

So how DID you get Flash to work on Midori? I've had to disable Flash in Zorin 7 Lite (32 bit) and use either Gecko or Chrome's Flash extension to meet my needs-and quite frankly i'm getting more mileage out of Chrome's HTML5ify these days...

So far i've gotten Firefox to work (slowly) and Opera, but the Iron Browser substitute for Chrome refuses to boot, and Midori is somewhat sluggish-I have no idea if this is a slight distro incompatibility or just a hardware issue, but given i've only 512 Ram at the moment I suspect the latter. I'm pretty happy with Chrome at the moment though-its habit of blanking out memory-intensive tabs rather than slowing down my browsing elsewhere works well with my minimalist hardware right now.

I've never heard of Ice Weasel or Ice Cat-thanks for the heads up!

Wolfman

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36:22 pm

Hi,

an alternative to Flash would be Gnash or Lightspark, try it and see if it is any better.

You'd be better off removing Flash before installing Gnash!.

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/02/no-adob ... hrome.html

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:17:45 pm

order99 wrote:So how DID you get Flash to work on Midori? I've had to disable Flash in Zorin 7 Lite (32 bit) and use either Gecko or Chrome's Flash extension to meet my needs-and quite frankly i'm getting more mileage out of Chrome's HTML5ify these days...

So far i've gotten Firefox to work (slowly) and Opera, but the Iron Browser substitute for Chrome refuses to boot, and Midori is somewhat sluggish-I have no idea if this is a slight distro incompatibility or just a hardware issue, but given i've only 512 Ram at the moment I suspect the latter. I'm pretty happy with Chrome at the moment though-its habit of blanking out memory-intensive tabs rather than slowing down my browsing elsewhere works well with my minimalist hardware right now.

I've never heard of Ice Weasel or Ice Cat-thanks for the heads up!

I haven't tried it yet - found it whilst searching for something else - not sure if this was the link (I think not) but will give it a try:

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-flash- ... entary-os/

msrmf

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31:25 pm

Firefox works great for me in windows was doing all kinds of weird stuff with linux including spell check would not work, would be on a page scroll down with mouse the bottom half of page would be previous site I was on.

msrmf

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:10:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Another vote for Opera here - but now I have come across how to get flash working in Midori I might try that for a bit (still has issues uploading files though) - Midori is even faster than Opera! Others to consider are Ice Weasel and Ice Cat - based on Firefox but without the spyware.

I'll give those a try.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:32:43 pm

Hi,

I forgot to mention the Wine alternative "Pipelight" with which you can run Silverlight and Windows Flash versions!:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipeligh ... .html#more