This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ubuntu wants to start charging for use of repros by Mint

Brahim

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:13:08 pm

Third, and I think this is a point other Linux news websites are ignoring, Clem claims he has been asked by Canonical's legal department to license the binary packages used by Ubuntu. To me this is a scary thought. Ubuntu is a base distribution for many projects, some of them (such as Mint and Kubuntu) are quite successful. Clem's statement makes me wonder if Canonical has approached other open source projects about licensing the right to access Ubuntu's package repositories. If so, what might follow? Would derivative distributions need to pay to use Canonical's packages? How would Canonical enforce such a policy, with lawyers, by blocking access to the repositories if a user isn't using Genuine Ubuntu? Canonical would certainly have the right to restrict access to its packages, they are on Canonical's servers after all. However, most Linux distributions are quite open about allowing anyone to access their software repositories and I wonder if Canonical might be acting in a short-sighted manner if they are trying to license access.

With these thoughts in mind I contacted Canonical and asked if they could shed any light on the issue. At the time of writing I have not received a reply. An e-mail to the Linux Mint project asking for details yielded much better results. Clement Lefebvre responded the following day and, while he wasn't able to go into specific details as talks with Canonical are still on-going, he was able to share a few pieces of information. When asked if Canonical was hoping to collect a fee for using their binary packages, Clem responded, "Money isn't a primary concern. Although the original fee was in the hundreds of thousands pounds, it was easily reduced to a single digit figure. The licensing aims at restricting what Mint can and cannot do, mostly in relation to the OEM market, to prevent Mint from competing with Canonical in front of the same commercial partners."

Clem went on to indicate Canonical has not offered any threats nor discussed enforcing any licensing terms. When I asked what Mint's plans were concerning the licensing deal Clem answered, "We don't think the claim is valid (i.e. that you can copyright the compilation of source into a binary, which is a deterministic process). With that said, Ubuntu is one of Mint's major components and it adds value to our project. If we're able to please Canonical without harming Linux Mint, then we're interested in looking into it. As negative as this may sound, this is neither urgent nor conflictual. It's a rare occasion for Canonical and Linux Mint to talk with one another and although there are disagreements on the validity of the claim, things have been going quite well between the two distributions and both projects are looking for a solution that pleases all parties.

I guess ZorinOS will have to go through this as well :(

Wolfman

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:43:19 am

Hi Brahim,

it seems that Ubuntu are becoming more and more a commercial Linux version, if this is what they intend to go through with, it would be a shame for all the other off-shoot versions of Ubuntu like Zorin & Co.

Regards Wolfman :D

Brahim

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:51:27 pm

Most Linux Mint users will be using a mirror I think, and those mirrors are neither owned nor paid for by Canonical.
A list of mirrors: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors.
These mirrors are graciously made available by other parties, free for all. Mostly by universities and telcos. Canonical possibly can't afford to run its repositories if there weren't these other parties making mirrors available free of charge. That's what xenopeek (admin) said on the Mint forum. So Zorin OS should be safe too :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:08:42 pm

Old news but still pertinent I reckon:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/07 ... u_spyware/

VanR

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23:41 pm

Perhaps Debian should charge Ubuntu then.

madvinegar

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:36:45 am

Brahim can you provide the source link?

Wolfman

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:16:37 am

Hi MV,

I don't think Brahim is with us anymore?.

We can always use this in the future instead of Ubuntu:

http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppe ... ories.html

Anonymous

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:48:23 pm

Should Zorin-Os users jump ship? Can we be sure that we're going to be able to use this OS for years without having to pay?

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46:03 am

Hi Mythx,

the normal user won't have to pay, the plan should it ever be implemented is to charge the devs of the various OS'es that use their repo's, considering that Ubuntu owes its success to Debian, I think they have a damned cheek, the devs at Zorin can always switch to Debian and then watch Ubuntu go downhill as more and more people shy aware from Ubuntu's "Spyware"!.

http://refugeeks.com/ubuntu-spyware-is-it-true/

Please keep an open mind about the above article, it is slighty dated!.

Anonymous

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32:47 pm

While I LOVE Zorin OS and while it is my Number 1 choice, I am switching to another none Ubuntu Distro. I know Zorin OS will pull through this all, but maybe changing your ways now and not when things go south, would be the better way to go. While more complicated, I am thinking OpenSuse is going to be my next big move.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:38:39 pm

Mythx wrote:While I LOVE Zorin OS and while it is my Number 1 choice, I am switching to another none Ubuntu Distro. I know Zorin OS will pull through this all, but maybe changing your ways now and not when things go south, would be the better way to go. While more complicated, I am thinking OpenSuse is going to be my next big move.

For me SuSE died when Novell sold out to M$ despite being a paid up member of 6 large corporations that formed an alliance against M$ FUD!

I have tried it not long ago and it has not come on much further - if you want an rpm based distro then try Fedora 20 or better yet CentOS.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:59:40 pm

Mythx wrote:While I LOVE Zorin OS and while it is my Number 1 choice, I am switching to another none Ubuntu Distro. I know Zorin OS will pull through this all, but maybe changing your ways now and not when things go south, would be the better way to go. While more complicated, I am thinking OpenSuse is going to be my next big move.

Good luck with that, they still have not simplfied the software install process for extra apps, certain repo's are deactivated by default so unless you know where to look, you can come unstuck. Network settings for the novice can be daunting as depending on which version of OpenSuse you use, it will be also deactivated by default at startup?.

You can stick with Zorin 6 LTS and the soon to be Zorin 9 (I assume it will be called 9) LTS and you will still have long term support even if Ubuntu do throw a spanner in the works!.