This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin takes a long time to boot

whs

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20:02 pm

Zorin takes a lot longer to boot than Mint or Windows. Given that Zorin is a 'light' OS, I find that unusual. Does anybody have an explenation.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:53:37 am

Hi,

might be to do with your graphics cards or the splash theme but I am not sure!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:20:22 pm

I think it also depends where Zorin is in relation to the other OS's - the further down the line it is the longer it will take to boot! :D

whs

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I think it also depends where Zorin is in relation to the other OS's - the further down the line it is the longer it will take to boot! :D

Not in my case. All my systems are on SSDs. Access time is the same regardless where they reside.

Btw - there is nothing wrong with my graphics card - I think.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52:32 pm

I wonder then if Zorin needs SSD's to be 'trimmed' before installing? But I remember somewhere that you state you run it in 'virtual pc' mode - which is always going to be slower than a pure install.

whs

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59:38 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I wonder then if Zorin needs SSD's to be 'trimmed' before installing? But I remember somewhere that you state you run it in 'virtual pc' mode - which is always going to be slower than a pure install.

Yes I am running Zorin in virtual. But all the other Linux systems run in virtual too - from the same SSD. So it is an apples to apples comparison.

What I also noticed is that Zorin needs a more disk space than e.g. Mint Mate although I have more stuff installed on Mint Mate. That is not a problem, just an observation.