This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

security qwestion

gorin002

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:08:56 am

desktop windows 7
browser do not know.maybe ie 11
connection WIFI trough elder wireless device

subject internet banking

some used mi codes to steal money from mi account
provider tell me modem is the most secure also WIFI connection
some with a apple used some how mi codes from the bank with mi user name

qwestion
downloading latest zorin os
the netbook is zorin os samsung nc 10
i have internet cable
cable from modem to the netbook
firefox have a virus scleaner
what else can i do to make it secure ?

i know can t make it 100 % allways be hackers with apple and linux maybe
closes to secure use zorin os and annny software you re comand ?

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:48:50 pm

Wifi is not the most secure connection, especially where 'Hot Spots' are concerned. Cellular Mobile is slower but more secure in respect of 'smart' phones!

Personally I never do online banking - that is the most secure option for you, with an analog telephone for telephone banking!

You may want to install the Firewall-gtk front end to deny all incoming packets but only allow outgoing ones - but at the end of the day, Internet banking is not a good way of doing business in my book! ;)

gorin002

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:54:18 pm

thank you

gorin002

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:57:23 pm

i have a more modern wireless device.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58:53 pm

There was a recent TV program on BBC 'Click!' which states that too many people use Wifi hot-spots and not secure locations - even phones can have all their contact details stolen if not on a secure network. If you are at home then the best security level you can have is wpa2-personal - but one of the techies that used to work where I do thought that even this can be hacked. If GNU/Linux is deployed on two notebooks with the right software to 'sniff' wireless networks I don't think any network is secure! ;)